Thread: Upgrade ThinkPad A20m Laptop

Upgrade ThinkPad A20m Laptop

I have a IBM ThinkPad A20m laptop. The system spec is Intel Celeron processor and 40 GB of hard drive. I want to upgrade my laptop now. I need the entire technical details on the laptop and limit to which it can be upgraded. I do not have any manual and other reference guide for the laptop. So what are the suggestion for upgrading this laptop. Which processor, ram size and hard drive I can add up more to increase the performance of this machine.

Re: Upgrade ThinkPad A20m Laptop

I don't think so that you can upgrade the laptop. It only supports 700Mhz processor. I model is outdated now. Better use it as it or sell it off and get a new model which supports upto C2D processor and 4 GB of RAM. You can hardly find out the specification on the internet but the ibm site provide you the drives and other manual download for the model.

The model does not support the latest intel processors. Only thing you do is add up more SDRAMS and increase the hard disk size. The model usually has Motherboard - 10L1412 manufactured by ibm. But the two hardware can also cost you a high price. It is powerful notebook and you can use it as it is. IBM has also introduced new Thinkpad series with Core 2 Duo processors and 2 GB ram. Have a look on them and then decide what you want to do.

Upgrading the Thinkpad A20m can be costly for your. Because the model specification does not meets the today compatibility feature. It works on Intel Pentium III 700Mhz processor. You can increase that to celeron and if you want to use Pentium III then you will have to upgrade the motherboard also. Try contacting IBM and get proper solution from them.