Thread: How to determing DVD Disc Longevity

How to determing DVD Disc Longevity

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out that how much a disc is reliable in storing a data for a long time. What is a lifespan of a disc either dvd or cd and what are the factors that cause the loss of data on the disc. Among a cd and dvd which one is better. The only difference I can understand the dvd's can hold more data as compare to cd's. But the matter is here about the life of a disc storage ability. Is there a way by which I can determine that a particular disc will only be able to hold data a some years or months. Any suggestion really appreciated.

Re: How to determing DVD Disc Longevity

This is a least concerned topic if you are only going to use the disc for a short period. Every technology changes and a new product takes the place of old. After a span of time the product disappear from the market. But in this topic I can say the DVD's are more powerful than CD's in data storage and reliability. DVD's have longer lifetime. The data loss depends on the use of a user. If you handle the disc properly it will work till gets broken or filled with scratches. The data never fade away from the disc. The reliability also depends on the burning method of disc.

Today optical media is affordable for many users to carry the data. DVD's and CD's are the best example for that. There is not such software in the market which can say you a life time of disc. I an users point of view I have to admit that there are lots of complains that a disc does not reads the data after 2 or 3 months. Optical media is use for temporary purpose. The best option is hard disk. They store data for years. Normally humidity is a factor which kills a disc. It oxidize the chemical component of disc which let to permanent loss of data. This happens first to the most cheaper brands.

According to me DVD's are the most reliable data storage hardware. The data can be retrieved after a long time if it is stored properly and does not has scratches on it. Nowadays DVD disc are the most compatible recording format. It is easily identified by any system and has common hardware. You can preserved you disc by taking care that the surface must not come in the contact of any hard thing. Never bend a disc, always use adhesive labels on disc, Always store the disc horizontally, never expose the disc to heat, sunlight or moisture and avoid scratches. According to a source the DVD disc has a shell life of 10 years.