Thread: Diagnosing IBM Deskstar Drives

Diagnosing IBM Deskstar Drives

Hiya
    On my computer I used an IBM Deskstar drive only to see some problems. Most of the time it worked fine but it would "disappear". The disappearance was first noticed in Windows when a bit of fiddling with "Add Device" would usually get it back but subsequently was noticed in BIOS when the BIOS failed to Auto Detect the drive.now am just trying to configure the drive as USER and set CYLINDERS=16383, HEADS=16, SECTORS=63 with LBA=ON or LBA=Off but thought it worth asking the gurus whether this could reasonably be expected to work or whether there was something else to try.

guidance greatly received......

Re: Diagnosing IBM Deskstar Drives

I need to say this fact that IBM Deskstars are more commonly known as IBM Deathstars.I however successfully retrieved data from an IBM Deathstar by freezing the drive for an hour.but I had a stuck in emp protection bags as well as a plastic bag over the sealed EMP bag.The first time I was very gentle with it and held it horizontal as I carried it between my two computers.

I found it. that's a 60GXP.i want to tell you that you have to visit the IBM website in order to download the application. perform a standard scan, and you'll understand that it can't complete it. When it gives you the RMA code, go to the IBM support page for returns.After you get the replacement, which will definitely be a 120GXP, see if you can just sell that new replacement on eBay or something like that. Then, get a Maxtor D740X Quiet Drive instead.

I am faced with a similar problem but can follow the principle of swapping a defective control card for one that works. However, now i realized that there are two problems getting into the device fixing it.Undoing the screws that fix the board onto the drive was not a problem. disconnecting the cable is proving a tad more challenging thing.