Thread: Samsung hard drive jumper settings

Samsung hard drive jumper settings

What are the jumper settings for samsung hard drive? I have a Samsung 160gb HDD, I want to connect another hard drive to my computer and for that purpose i need to set jumper in my samsung hard drive.

Re: Samsung hard drive jumper settings

When more than one hard drive is installed on a computer system, each drive competes for control of the computer. There are three cases of the installing jumper(shunt) if the jumper is located in the middle of connectors as above. They are Lower 32GB, Upper 32GB and With capacity limitation in upper 32GB.

Samsung hard drive jumper settings :

Master :

Slave :

When adding another hard disk drive. If you're already using a hard disk drive, the jumper is already set as MA(Master) for this drive. Set the jumper on the addition drive as SL(Slave).

Cable select :

When installing with a motherboard which supporting the cable-select function.You must use the special cable for the cable-select.

You only need that if your connecting two hard disk. it is used to determine which is the master and slave. does your IDE cable have a label? If two drives are attached on one serial ATA host adapter, the host operating system views the two devices as if they were both “masters” on two separate ports.usually the far end connector is for the master and the connector in the middle is for the slave.

blush Re: Samsung hard drive jumper settings

Hi i know this is a very old thread but i think this is the information i've been looking for, i just quite understand it. I've recently aquired a tower with a 160gb HDD but i'd like to add a samsung 500gb HDD and use it as the slave but when i connect it to my motherboard my computer wont run, i think like stated above the HDD's are fighting each other for control. Looking at the rear of both HDD's there are no caps fitted. My 160gb HDD is an Acer by the way.

Can someone explain (in idiot terms so even i can understand ) what is meant by lower/higher than 32gb capacity? Please.