Thread: How to install HD as slave off DVD Burner

How to install HD as slave off DVD Burner

Hi,

I'd like to keep my DVD-ROM drive for ripping movies so I don't put as much research on my new burner but I want to make sure if I can hook up an HDD as my Primary and DVD drive as my secondary? Can I use a SATA DVD burner with a IDE HDD. How do I install HD as slave off DVD Burner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: How to install HD as slave off DVD Burner

If You have two HDDs and two opticals, try separating by connecting the HDDs to IDE0 and the opticals to IDE1. Some computers use cable select instead of master / slave. If so, all drives have to be the same. Try to burn at the same time, it all depends what you want to do. The boot HDD and Burner as Master on the respective channel.

Downloading large files and trying to burn at the same time it all depends what you want to do. SATA is one cable per device. There are no master/slave relationships with those devices. The power cable is capable of powering two SATA drives. Should I then use that one cable for both HDD and DVD-RW drive.

For installing HD as slave off DVD Burner, make sure the CABLE SELECT IDE CABLE that should not be used if you've set the 2 burners up using the MASTER/SLAVE settings. See if bios sees this configuration, also change boot sequence for now with floppy, dvdrom than hd in that order. Go ahead and use the one cable with two connectors. It will work fine.