Thread: Esc key not working

angry Esc key not working

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 Build 7000. I can't use ESC key, whenever I 'esc' key to change modes, nothing happens. his is extremely annoying when multiple programs are used, what could be the root of the problem?

Has anyone experienced this before of got any ideas?

Re: Esc key not working

Which keyboard you are having ? Look for upgraded patches on microsoft's support site, it is possible you are not the only one with this problem or it is possible that you could be having a hardware malfunction. What happens if you plug in an external keyboard?

Run the Windows diagnostics test to verify each key function, but it sounds like a software problem, unless it happens with all applications. If not, contact the publisher of that software. And if its in warranty replace it !!!

Is it a new keyboard ?? Was it working perfect before ???

Did you tried the following :
    1. Rebooting your computer
    2. Unplugging, and replugging in the keyboard.
    3. Reinstalling the keyboard software or the drivers.

I'm getting the same problem. Keyboard and computer and OS were companions for some time. I replaced keyboard. Different brand. Same problem.

Rebooting fixes the problem, for anywhere up to a few hours. It's most prevalent with games: using esc to go back to main menu. But it also spreads to other software. Photoshop, for example, will work for a while even though games stop working with Esc, then even PS will lose the Esc key function.

This troubleshooting aid at all?

First what I can suggest you is try connecting the keyboard with some another computer to find out whether the problem is with keyboard or the system. Replacing the keyboard with new one is not a good idea. Many times it happens due to some USB conflict in the system USB. Also try moving it to a different USB bank to rule out power consumption issues and see what happens. Do reply the result.

Keyboard works on other computer. As I've said, I have the same issue with escape key not working with two different keyboards. I assumed it was the previous keyboard which is why I switched out to this one. I tried new usb port: same issue. ESC works in Photoshop right now, but not in Quake Live, nor other video games I've tried running. It seems to be behaving badly specific to certain software. Thanks for your attention on this.

More troubleshooting. Quake Live runs in Firefox. Opening Google Chrome, I visted a page where I was looking at an artist's gallery with an applicable test. Image pops up where I can either click on close or hit escape key in order to close the window. I hit esc and it does nothing. Testing again in Photoshop, it is still working fine.

Yeah this is odd. Esc is limited to certain functions for whatever reason, even within the same software. For example, I refer again to Photoshop (I work in it all day). It works to escape using the transform tool, but will not escape from path editing or some other tools. Is there a systems thing this could be relating to?

Quote Originally Posted by feeb View Post
    Yeah this is odd. Esc is limited to certain functions for whatever reason, even within the same software. Is there a systems thing this could be relating to?
    yeah, i guess so. All your observation clearly indicates about some conflict in your system itself rather than the keyboard. Well, i may suggest you to simply try doing a system restore to some of the previous point and see if it works. And if still not than try to repair your system with the repair disc.