Thread: How to re-attach Dell inspiron 6400 laptop Keys

How to re-attach Dell inspiron 6400 laptop Keys

I'm having Dell inspiron 6400 laptop on which i had installed Windows Xp as my operating system. The problem is that one of the key is not functioning properly on my laptop. So i would like to know that how to replace or re-attach the key back onto the keyboard? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the aboev issue. Would be greatful to you if any body helps me out to resolve the above issue.

Re: How to re-attach Dell inspiron 6400 laptop Keys

You might be able to order the keyboard from the manufacturer, but if it's available. I was able to reattach a key on my older Acer laptop and for that you need to check out your service manual, which will describes how to do it. You will get the service manuals on the Dell website, under the support section.

To help prevent damage to the system board, you need to remove the main battery before working inside the computer. Just follow the below steps mention.

1. First of all you need to open the display.

2. Then you need to remove the hinge cover.

3. Then try to remove the keyboard.

1. For that you need to remove the two M2.5 x 5-mm screws from the top of the keyboard.

NOTICE: The keycaps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and time-consuming to replace. Be careful when removing and handling the keyboard.

2. Then you need to carefully rotate the keyboard forward to allow access to the keyboard connector.

3. Afterwards try to release the keyboard cable from the keyboard connector on the system board and rotate the plastic bar on the keyboard connector toward the front of the computer. For more information you can check out teh following link. Hope so it mat resolve your issue.

According to me, i think you need to contact your manufacturer or you can take your laptop directly to the Dell support center. They may able to resolve your issue.

your laptop key is not attaching is most likely due to the retainer clip or back of the key is broken, you may want to buy a new dell laptop key, that will fix the problem and its cheap.