Thread: desktop runs on 12volt???

desktop runs on 12volt???

can we assemble a desktop that runs from a 12 volt car battery or a 12 volt adaptar??? I heard that intel atom motherboard combo can run from a 12 volt dc supply

re: desktop runs on 12volt???

post your queries in proper section. Moved from Introduce Yourself to Hardware Peripherals.

It is possible to run a desktop with a 12v car battery, but using a 12v adapter would be rather difficult. You will get proper voltage, but you will not be able to get power as required. Watts is what i am talkin about. But you will need 12v adapter for each 12v device individually, also you will require 5v adapter as there are device which need two power supply 12v and 5v togather... Rather impossible or it will increase the circuit size, hence SMPS is the best option...

When you Power ON your computer, the power is supplied to different components of the system as motherboard, hard-disk and CD-ROM. And each consumes power separately. I think 12 volts would be very less, just not enough power as it usually requires

Quote Originally Posted by FaMe FacToR View Post
    It is possible to run a desktop with a 12v car battery, but using a 12v adapter would be rather difficult. You will get proper voltage, but you will not be able to get power as required. Watts is what i am talkin about. But you will need 12v adapter for each 12v device individually, also you will require 5v adapter as there are device which need two power supply 12v and 5v togather... Rather impossible or it will increase the circuit size, hence SMPS is the best option...
    thnks for promt reply but is it not possible to derive all other voltages like 5 volt and 3.3volt by using voltage reagulators from a 12 volt supply??? if a 12v battery can do why not an adapter? I think an smps is nothing but an inbuilt power adapter....

Quote Originally Posted by T.j. View Post
    When you Power ON your computer, the power is supplied to different components of the system as motherboard, hard-disk and CD-ROM. And each consumes power separately. I think 12 volts would be very less, just not enough power as it usually requires
    but i am talking about intel atom.... the whole system runs on 12v or below...
    and as we know hdd, cd rom all runs on 12v and 5v...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra View Post
    post your queries in proper section.
    extreemly sorry..... how can i transfer this to motherboard processor,ram???

Its already in the correct section now... Next time be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra View Post
    Its already in the correct section now... Next time be careful.
    thanks a lot....