Thread: How to insert .SRT subtitle file into a .AVI to view in Windows Media Player

How to insert .SRT subtitle file into a .AVI to view in Windows Media Player

I have already explain my problem in the thread title, but i will again explain little more. I have some DVD formatted video files which is of type .SRT this kind of extension i have never come across, and hence i am trying to convert it into the .AVI format which i again want to run into an Windows Media player. It would also do if it is in the WMV File format.

Re: How to insert .SRT subtitle file into a .AVI to view in Windows Media Player

Conversion for SRT to AVI is possible but there are quality measures in it, for example you have any movie called video.avi and video.srt, you dont need to do anything else, if you don´t want to loose quality by reencoding that is simpler way of doing it. VLC and MPUI are media players. If your dvd player plays avi there's a good chance it plays subtitles. Select Avi to DVD and, when browsing for the file/s, just click on the avi then hold the shift key down and click on the .srt. It will then combine them to give you your conversion.

Re: How to insert .SRT subtitle file into a .AVI to view in Windows Media Player

Sorry for interrupting in your discussion but i also has the almost same issue, I open the video_ts.ifo with cxdvd. and then i added a subtitle track using an srt file. Then after clicking on convert, it gives me a new video_ts folder with the same video, with the subtitle. However, I'm running into a weird problem and that is the subtitle color is green.

First of all VLC media player will allow you to play the subtitles with your movie. If you go to Settings — ->perferences — ->Video — >subtitles — ->then click, browse and choose your subtitle file.In order to "hard sub" the file, you would have to re-encode. That will always cause a loss of quality. The above recommendation of keeping the .srt in the same directory is a good one, or you can also mux the .srt directly into the file and save a new .mkv. That will give you a single file with subs you can switch on and off.