Thread: Hook up hard disk and dvd on same ide

Hook up hard disk and dvd on same ide

Hi,
    I have 250 gb hardrive and a samsung dvd rom in my system. The dvd is connected to the primary ide as a master and the hard disk to the secondary ide. Now I had bought a dvd writer. I want to ask it is possible to hook up a hard disk and dvd rom on the same ide. Will it affect the performance of both the drives. If it is possible how can I do it. Please suggest some solutions.

Re: Hook up hard disk and dvd on same ide

It is possible you hoot up a hard drive and dvd in single ide. But you said that you getting a dvd writer. So if I was in your place then I will connect the DVD rom and DVD writer in the same ide channel. As it going to be frequently used. The hard drive will stay separated without any issue. You can go on and connect the hardware in same ide. After connecting you can see the effect in the bios.

If you have an sata hard disk then I will suggest you to connect the optical drives separately in the other ide channels. Because both uses different transfer protocol. It will result in slow performance of your data transfer rate. But still if you want you can connect the drive by putting the first on master 1 and the second one on master 2 with the new hardware as slave in the second IDE channel.

Latest motherboard supports the feature of what you are talking about. It is easy to hook up two different hardware in the same channel. Just try to hook up your hdd with the dvd writer you got on the master channel. And let the dvd rom remain on the second one. It is will not cause any harm to your hardware or system. But is possible that the writing of date will be bit slower as the data is transfer via same route.