Thread: Windows XP mouse pointer corrupted

Windows XP mouse pointer corrupted

Hi,
    I had a usb optical logitech mouse. When I pay warcraft my mouse pointer turns into a small vertical line. After some time it again restores to arrow and whole xp restarts. This had happened multiple times. I had rebooted my system then I disconnected the mouse and insert again. Now things where fine. Then after when I tried to change the scheme of mouse pointer it gives an file missing error. The scheme does not change. I am not able to understand what is going on. How to resolve this issue.

Re: Windows XP mouse pointer corrupted

Disconnect your mouse from the system. Restart your system in safe mode. Uninstall any driver related to mouse. And then reboot it in normal mode. Reconnect the mouse and check weather it is detected automatically by windows or not. Reinstall drivers if any. After this you will not receive the same error as you had received before. You have make sure that in safe you had removed all mouse related applications. Otherwise the same problem with persist again.

You will receive the string error while changing the pointer scheme, indicating that mouse pointer files are missing. This means that all the mouse pointer files are deleted from windows directory. It is by default located in c:\windows\cursor folder. The extension of it is .cur or .ani. Just check your manually weather they are there or not. If you cannot see then you will need to restore you mouse cursor. You can restore it by windows xp cd. First insert your windows cd. Then go to start menu > run > type cmd. In the dos window give the following command. My DVD/CD drive if F. So you need to type your drive name in the place of it.
    Code:
    Expand F:\i386\*.CU_ -r C:\Windows\Cursors  
    Expand F:\i386\*.AN_ -r C:\Windows\Cursors

For your mouse issue go to right click on my computer > properties > Hardware > Device manager > Right click on mouse and select uninstall. You mouse will stop working. Press Atl + F4 or windows key and scroll via arrow keys to restart your system. After the reboot windows will detect a new hardware and install your mouse back again. Second thing for the mouse pointer issue insert your original windows xp in the cd drive. Run command prompt from Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > command prompt and give the below commands.
    Code:
    expand <E:>\i386\*.cu_ %SystemRoot%\Cursors
    rename %SystemRoot%\Cursors\*.cu_ *.cur
    expand <E:>\i386\*.an_ %SystemRoot%\Cursors
    rename %SystemRoot%\Cursors\*.an_ *.ani