Thread: write protect error in vista external hard drive

write protect error in vista external hard drive

I need to copy files larger than allowed by FAT32 so using my WinXP Pro desktop I shrunk the existing FAT32 partition, created a new partition, formatted it as NTFS.When I try to create a primary partion I get a error. So here is the interesting part. I Removed my hard drive and took it back down to the shop. They said that it was faulty and replaced it with a new one. So is it a hard-drive conflict or is it something else.

Re: write protect error in vista external hard drive

I can't create a partition to attempt it. When ever I try to use fdisk to create one I get an error. I have to run diskpart, select the volume, and clear the attributes. Then when i run Vista backup it becomes write protected. I will try converting it back to fat 32 instead of nfts.Plus the system has been working fine for the last three months.I didn't have that problem the first time that I setup up my system. Thanks again anyway.

Even the method that I had used with diskpart only lasted for two weeks. The first time that I had run vista backup it write protected the disk again. I didn't even bother with disk manager because I couldn't format from explorer. I tried it in disk manager, it formatted and is working now. I had to run disk part select the volume and clear the read only attributes again. I believe that vista's backup utility, which i will try not to use in the future is somehow write protecting the disk.

I had same issue like whenever I try to use fdisk to create one I get an error.and and to solve this issue, right click on drive, go to properties, security tab, edit, add, type 'system', click check names click OK. I believe that vista's backup utility, which i will try not to use in the future is somehow write protecting the disk. I have to run diskpart which clear the attributes. Then when i run Vista backup it becomes write protected. I will try converting it back to fat 32 instead of nfts.