Thread: SMART disk failure been detected on Windows Vista

SMART disk failure been detected on Windows Vista

On my system i had installed Windows Vista as my operating system. Just few days before, when i had turn on my pc, it showed me an error message stating that "SMART disk failure had been detected on your pc". It didn't allowed me to work on my pc, so i tried to reboot my system but everytime used to get the same error message on my screen after rebboting my pc. Can any body tell me that what does it menas? Does any body knows about this error message? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue.

Re: SMART disk failure been detected on Windows Vista

I think you can try to disable SMART by going in your BIOS options. I think you should go for the drive fittness tests, which is run to see if this is a false warning or not on your system. For instance, if the disk were accessed so often that it overheated, SMART may give a warning. This may be the current sitaution on your system.

Try to go to your HDD manufacturer's website and try to check out if they have a test program for the disk which might be run from a cd, in order to check the actual status of your HDD on your system, as the symptoms suggest that the messages you received first of all were from the SMART disk monitor.

According to me you should try and diagnose the drive on your system. Try to Run a complete scan of your hard drive on the next boot, try to Run a complete chkdsk scan of the file system by going to your Start Menu, then select Accessories and then just Right click on the Command Prompt. Then go to the properties and click on Run as Administrator, then type chkdsk c: /f /r. It will prompt you that do you want to perform a scan the next time your computer starts, then type "y".