Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Safely Overclock Intel Q6600 on Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Hardware Peripherals

Old 01-06-2009

unsure Safely Overclock Intel Q6600 on Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Hi,
My systems configuration is Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with Intel 2 Quad Q6600 processor, 4 Gb DDR2 Ram 1066 MHz. I am having a problem while overclocking my processor more than 3.0. I am trying to over lock the processor on air instead of any water coolant. I had kept the CPU clock ratio at 9x, the host clock control is enable, the host frequency is 333 with PCI express frequency at 100. There were no changes made in memory settings. As per some information from other sources I came to know that the processor can be overclocked by without increasing the voltage. But I tried that also. I has set it to 1.2v but no results. My pc restarted and all the setting were changed to default. In MIT it shows the error denoting that there is some voltage problem. How can I now resolve this.

Old 01-06-2009

Re: Safely Overclock Intel Q6600 on Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

I will recommend you to work with the power supply settings. I got proper results while using the mentioned. Well the most favorable range to overclock the processor to 3.0 is different. According to me if your set your voltage frequency manually then you can get some solutions. Because the Auto settings can overvolt the processor.
Old 01-06-2009

Configuring your processor to a higher frequency on air could be a risk. Instead on adding a memory I strongly believe that you should put some money on the processor. The quad processors runs hotter if overclocked to 3.6. It better to put some money for processor and used a liquid coolant. To get the result you will more that one cpu for testing. It is possible that you will burn it. Then you need a tough motherboard. Which can bear the loading of overclocking with the tremendous heating pressure. I am thinking to get a Ultra 120 Thermo electric cooler.
Old 01-06-2009

The FSB should be at 333. Your processor with downclock when you are not overclocking or have EIST/D1E enabled. It is better to disable them when you are overclocking the processor. All other setting must be stable at 3Ghz and 1066 Mhz of memory. Another better way is to set the setting on stock or less if it not recommend to set above. As they will change automatically when you make changes in some other settings. I am listing those setting which changes to default.
The CPU Termination (Vtt) changes the following settings if set manually:
  • CPU Reference Voltage
  • CPU Reference2 Voltage
  • MCH Reference Voltage

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following settings if set manually:
  • MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage
  • DRAM Termination Voltage
  • Channel A Reference Voltage
  • Channel B Reference Voltage

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,