Thread: Canon printer won't recognize ink cartridge

Canon printer won't recognize ink cartridge

i have Canon printer which worked fine over period of 4-5 months, but Now it is not recognizing cartridge. printer kept giving me the message " the following cartridge cannot be recognized" i Have used OEM cartridges. When error received, ink tank was about more than 1/2 . what should i do ?any help ?
    thank you

Re: Canon printer won't recognize ink cartridge

This can be happens, but with after several times taking it out, cleaning cartridge and slot and replacing it usually works. so just try it ,To use refilled cartridges disable the ink level indicator. that my help you .

Tried to refill cartridge and printer unable to recognize that . there was no options available for Canon .so tried to deep clean service after installing the new filled cartridge, as I did this a new option registered that allowed me to bypass the empty cartridge. I canceled the cleaning and printing starts

have a chip re-setter machine but before that disable the ink level indicator but still press the reset button. sometime there is need to reset it as it was none chipped cartridge. the another thing is just get buy a new cartridge for your printer.

RickySmith Guest

Some time it will show error messages about how dangerous it is to use refilled cartridges, and are you sure you really, really want to print.Use Alcohol and cleaned the gold contacts on both the cartridge and the mating contacts in the printer.This will solve your problem.
    Last edited by Rameez.J; 14-10-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: External Link Removed.

AshleyLewis Guest

If you refill your cartridges more then 3 times,then it is expired and that's why it is not displayed in your printer.For this,you have to go for ma new cartridge.

christopherclark Guest

Try below steps.May be it will helpful.

1. I used a Q-tip with Isopropyl Alcohol and cleaned the gold contacts on both the cartridge and the mating contacts in the printer.

2. Then from the Setup Menu, I found a menu called Tools. From there I ran "Align Print Cartridges".

3. From the same menu I also ran "Clean Print Cartridges"

4. I then ran a few test prints by going into the Setup Menu and then choosing "Print Report" and then selecting "Self-Test Report". It prints grid patterns in black & white as well as magenta, yellow and blue. The black grid pattern had some missing lines until I printed this report a few times.

5. I made a few photocopies and now the printouts no longer have large stripes of missing ink as it did in the earlier steps.

JohnBrown1321 Guest

Did you remove the tap from the head of ink cartridge?First remove it,then take out the cartridges and after some time ,snap it back.Then align the cartridge and then run the cleaning cycle.