Thread: How to control Fan on Optiplex 960

How to control Fan on Optiplex 960

My office PC was replaced to Dell Optiplex 960 desktop PC. The configuration of that PC is excellent. The operating system installed is Windows 7.But I noticed a strange while using that PC. The Fan included in the CPU generates an irritating sound continuously. When the PC is turned off the entire office seems to be remarkably quite. I tried a lot to reduce that irritating sound but failed to do that. I also used the application speedFan but it didn’t me. Is there any kind of fan control for the Optiplex 960? Are you aware about it? If yes then please help me out.

Re: How to control Fan on Optiplex 960

The issue that you have posted is complicated. I haven’t encountered such issues in my system till now. You are the first person who discussed such issues with me. I am software professional and the issue that you have posted is related to hardware. It is difficult for me to solve issues related to hardware, if it was the software issue then I would have surely help you out. I won’t be able to give you the necessary suggestions that you need to overcome the issue. May be some else can help you to solve this issue.

You have posted quite an interesting issue. I will try my level best to help you as much as possible. Many people have encountered such issues before but it has been solved. There can be several reasons for such issues. I think there is a bug in your BIOS due to which you are facing such issues. To overcome this issue I would recommend you to update your BIOS to A06. Updating the BIOS will clear all the errors in your system and the fan won’t generate such sound again. Try this solution and it will surely help you out.

I am very grateful to you for interacting with me to overcome the issue. I updated the BIOS to A06 as suggested by you it didn’t work out. Even after updating the BIOS I experienced the same issue again. My system was not permitting me to change the Boot sequence. I tried a lot to that but it was of no use. I am unable to find the exact cause of the issue. Are you aware about some other solutions to overcome the issue? If yes then please let me know about it.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. I also encountered the same in my system but it has been solved now. I noticed that there are two fans included one in the front of the CPU and the second one inside the power supply. The issue that I was facing was due to defective power supply and the fan was operating in maximum speed. To solve the issue I changed the power supply and after that my issue was solved. I think your issue is somewhat similar to this so I would to advise you to try the solution that I have mentioned above.

It is very difficult to understand and overcome such issues. It is very difficult to determine the exact cause for the issue. According to me the issue that you have posted is related to fan sensor. To solve this issue I would recommend you to replace the Fan sensor with a new one. Once you replace the fan sensor then check whether the fan is still generating such irritating sound I think the new fan sensor will solve the noise problem. This solution has helped many people.

Thanks a lot for all the responses and suggestions that you have given me to overcome the issue. Your suggestion helped me a lot to solve the issue. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but they could not help me to overcome the issue. You are the first person who supported and helped me. I performed all the steps that were specified by you and it was successful. The issue that was irritating me has been solved now. It was not possible to solve the issue without your advice.