Thread: What is Spin Retry Count in Hd Tune

What is Spin Retry Count in Hd Tune

hello , I Have Seagate 80 gb harddisk , it Is Not Functioning well , So I Did a test With a HDTune health with my Harddisk and In the Results the The spin retry count was shown as Current Worst Threshhold Data after that some Number are present Here And below that there is one is row which is colored as yellow , I Dont What to this Result Mean Please Help , Is M Harddisk Going Bad , i Dunno What is this spin retry count in Hdtune , please Tell me Thanks in advance

Re: Spin Retry Count in Hd Tune

The Spin Retry Count is attribute which stores a total count of the spin start attempts to reach the fully operational speed (under the condition that the first attempt was unsuccessful). A decrease of this Spin Retry Count value is a sign of problems in the hard disk mechanical subsystem.

Re: Spin Retry Count in Hd Tune , Speed Fan

Speed Fan Would be Better Alternative to Check for Spin Retry Count than Hdtune As Sometime the Result of Hdtune Are not Upto The mark and Cannot be Taken in Consideration Here a Small description about the Speed Fan, SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). SpeedFan can access digital temperature sensors and can change fan speeds accordingly, thus reducing noise. SpeedFan can find almost any hardware monitor chip connected to the 2-wire SMBus (System Management Bus (trademark belonging to SMIF, Inc.), a subset of the I2C protocol) and works fine with Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP and Windows Vista. It works with Windows 64 bit too.

Re: Spin Retry Count For Seagate Harddisk

hello , Yup Roninblade is Right , the result of Hdtune are Sometime Faked and Cannot Be used , You don't worry about these other utilities.it Would better if You use Seatools for Windows,From Seagate for Checking Your Harddisk Performance and Spin rety Count

SeaTools for Windows is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine the condition of the disc drive in your external hard drive, desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disc drive and any other non-Seagate disc drive.

download From Here

Re: What is Spin Retry Count in Hd Tune

Hd Tune uses S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) to get information about the health of the hard disk.

The table shows the following parameters:
    • ID: parameter which is being measured
    • Current: current value
    • Worst: the worst value which has been recorded since the hard disk was first used
    • Threshold: the value of any of the parameters should never get below the threshold.
    • Data: shows the usable data which belongs to the ID.

The Format for HdTune Result is Something Like These Can You tell Me What is the Status of Your Harddisk , If it is Ok then You Have nothing To Worry About

Re: Defination Spin Retry Count in Hd Tune

Hello , Here is the Defination of Spin retry event , It is logged each time the drive was unable to spin its platters up to the rated rotation speed in the due time. Spin-up attempt was aborted and retried. This typically indicates severe controller or bearing problem, but may be sometimes caused by power supply problems.

if you have yellow mark than it means that You Have are within normal ranges and have not reached critical limits, check this From Hdtune Faq

The status of each parameter should be Ok.
    • If the parameter is highlited in yellow it means that the parameter almost reached a critical value. At this point it is highly recommended to check this parameter regulary to see if the value becomes worse.
    • If the parameter is highlited in red it means that the parameter has reached a critical value. In this case you should make a backup of your data and replace the hard disk.

Re: Spin Retry Count in Hd Tune , Speed Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RoninBlade View Post
    Speed Fan Would be Better Alternative to Check for Spin Retry Count than Hdtune As Sometime the Result of Hdtune Are not Upto The mark and Cannot be Taken in Consideration Here a Small description about the Speed Fan, SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info and show hard disk temperatures. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). SpeedFan can access digital temperature sensors and can change fan speeds accordingly, thus reducing noise. SpeedFan can find almost any hardware monitor chip connected to the 2-wire SMBus (System Management Bus (trademark belonging to SMIF, Inc.), a subset of the I2C protocol) and works fine with Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP and Windows Vista. It works with Windows 64 bit too.
    I have tried HD Tune, and Active Smart, and have a confusing number that is being reported. Power on hours of my drive suggests that my hard drive in my laptop has been running continously for 335 years.

This is a used hard drive that I purchased on E-Bay, but, I really have a hard time with this value. There is no way it can be correct. I tried Speed Fan, but, it does not run under Windows 7. Is there some other program that could tell me what's up with this? The status of my drive appears to be OK, and I am not having any problems, but, with that power on hour count, it's hard to believe any information that is being given about this drive. I'm fairly sure my math is correct as the number given is 2935072.

SpeedFan worked on my laptop prior to Windows 7.

Thanks!

Download SpeedFan This version works with Windows 7. Disable UAC and install. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    Download SpeedFan This version works with Windows 7. Disable UAC and install. Hope this helps...
    Actually, I guess my previous post was worded a little incorrectly.

SpeedFan does run, but, it says NO SUPPORTED CHIPSETS. I was using SpeedFan regularly under Windows XP. I don't know if I could control the fan speed, but, I could get temperature parameters. I never checked the S.M.A.R.T. tab before. This laptop was obviously not "designed for Windows 7", nor Vista. I had to do some extensive web leg work to find a proper driver for the Radeon 9000 video card to get it working under W7. There is nothing in yellow in my Device Manager, so it seems that 7 found everything it needed to find. I love the "detective" work that some of this stuff brings, so this will be a interesting process to find the answer to this question.

Some features still seem to work, but, under S.M.A.R.T. there are no drives listed, so I cannot check the parameters.

Is it possible for the parameters to be corrupted somehow? Because, honestly, I'm sure this hard drive did not exisxt 350 something years ago, and that is how long it would have to be in continous operation, assuming it was continous, to have an power on hour count of almost 3 million hours.