Thread: GHOST RAID 1 or change to hard drive

GHOST RAID 1 or change to hard drive

I need my C: drive with larger disk space without reinstalling anything on a new hard drive. Currently I have 2 SATA hard disks =>

- Disc 1 (160 GB):
    -> C: 34.1 GB (Windows XP Home)
    -> D: 114 GB
    - Disc 2 (250 GB):
    -> G: 232 GB

Knowing that my new drive partitioned =>
    - C: 40-50 GB (Windows XP Home)
    - D: all the rest

In the end I will have:

- Disc 1 (XXX GB) (new record):
    -> C: 40-50 GB (Windows XP Home)
    -> D: all the rest
    - Disc 2 (250 GB):
    -> G: 232 GB
    - Disc 3 (160 GB) (eg Disk 1):
    -> H: 160 GB

1. GHOST I thought but I do not know if this can help me?

2. I also think to use RAID 1 on my hard drive to make the mirroring to copy but I have all my hard disk 1 partition to be smaller than that of my new hard drive and I do not think that it works.

3. Alternatives

4. Unable

If GHOST with how this is possible will run the establishment:

- Do I have to create my partition + install Windows XP home and then restore the Ghost (C: and D: ) on my new drive?

- I install my new hard drive, I create the partitions (2 partitions) and I clone my "C" -> "letter_1_of_new_disk:" and "D" -> "letter_2_of_new_disk:"?

Re: GHOST RAID 1 or change to hard drive

I have not used a ghost. So if I remember correctly. In your case it is necessary to make a backup partition by partition, not the entire disk. You put your new disk partitions as you want with you for example GParted and then you restore your partition one by one.

Otherwise you can make an entire disk image, restore it on your new and then move/edit the partitions.

Last solution: use the raid as you propose.
    You use your raid while you copy and edit your partitions.

In any event do not erase your old disc before the test. You take a picture and you remove the restore again. When you have your new "old" windows that works correctly when you connect your old drive and you will do what you want.

In that raid give this: drive your new disk, through the cloning raid, disconnecting the old one, change the new partition, and test windows app of all, and reconnection of the old disk.

Thank you for your reply.

So if I understand installing my new drive, I format the Windows XP partition and I with "GParted".

I am a clone of my first hard drive to my new hard drive:
    - "C:" -> "letter_1_of_new_disk:"
    - "D" -> "letter_2_of_new_disk:" and I could boot normally into my new hard drive?

In my opinion this is the case but if I can get confirmation.

What I fear is in RAID 1 copies the data into the correct partitions:
    - "C" (34.1 GB) -> "letter_1_of_new_disk:" (~ 50 GB)
    - "D" (114 GB) -> "letter_2_of_new_disk:" (rest)

For 1 single partition I know this is feasible because my MAC is the case but I have only one partition. And then it seems logical, but with my scenario I doubt a little 2 partitions of different sizes.

Anyway I would not delete until you are certain that it works properly because the computer is not a reliable source is in development.

Quote Originally Posted by CodGuru View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

So if I understand installing my new drive, I format the Windows XP partition and I with "GParted".
    No, because otherwise your windows will install the hard disk as additional device.

I am a clone of my first hard drive to my new hard drive:
    - "C:" -> "letter_1_of_new_disk:"
    - "D" -> "letter_2_of_new_disk:" and I could boot normally into my new hard drive?

In my opinion this is the case but if I can get confirmation.
    Via cloning or via raid ghost?

What I fear is in RAID 1 copies the data into the correct partitions:
    - "C" (34.1 GB) -> "letter_1_of_new_disk:" (~ 50 GB)
    - "D" (114 GB) -> "letter_2_of_new_disk:" (rest)

For 1 single partition I know this is feasible because my MAC is the case but I have only one partition. And then it seems logical, but with my scenario I doubt a little 2 partitions of different sizes.

Anyway I would not delete until you are certain that it works properly because the computer is not a reliable source is in development.
    Unfortunately I have never practiced in a real raid. I only know the theory above, but normally the raid (hardware equipment or semi-managed by your motherboard) "is free" a bit of what is partition.

A partition is a given on a particular sector of the HDD which allows to separate from the raid or other copy data from one disk to another. So normally the raid is going to copy your partition at the same time.

As against GParted is a live CD that allows you to partition and format. This is not a windows program.

I do not understand how the system you use, you should tell me if you use your account or make raid ghost for me to be more specific.

About the choice I think I look to the Ghost because you are sure that my question can be solved by this solution.

Compared =>
    No, because otherwise your windows will install the hard disk as additional device.
    I need to make the installation of Windows, and then I restore the partition?

Otherwise thank you, I will look for a free software and Ghost.

Here I do not know too much.

Solution 1:
    GParted you boot to the partition size you want and you format them.
    Then you restore your saved scores (in fact it is the content of partitions) in the photos you created.

Solution 2:
    You restore your partitions and then boot GParted you to put the size you want (it seems to me that this is more valid when a backup disk that is not a backup partition.)

Once your old windows running on your new disc while you add your old drive and you do what you want.