Thread: Hard drive recognized on the secondary IDE port only

Hard drive recognized on the secondary IDE port only

My hard drive (bootable) was automatically recognized on the primary IDE port on my motherboard. Now, it is never recorded in the port. I have to plug it into the secondary IDE port (instead of the CD reader + CD burner).

I had spent my hard disk Primary Master to Secondary Master to start my Windows.

What do you do? I suspect the motherboard or power supply, how to diagnose me simply?

My config:

Motherboard: Nvidia Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Hard disk: Maxtor 6Y200P0 200GB (8MB cache)
    Processor: AMD XP3200+
    RAM: 2 x 256 MB DDR 400
    DVD-ROM IDE
    CD-R/RW IDE

Re: Hard drive recognized on the secondary IDE port only

You use the same cable in the 2 cases? Did you check if there was dust in shades of IDE. Clear cmos?

I use the same cable to the hard drive and another for the drive + CD (2nd slavery).

I tried what you told me (the blow in IDE ports + reset CMOS). So it allowed me to re detect my floppy drive no longer recognized either (I have not spoken at the beginning). As against the same problem for the main hard drive (same cables, same ports as before).

In other words, nothing is recognized on the primary IDE port.

I am wondering if my motherboard is not defective. I do not know how the test easily.

No other ideas?

Have you tried to connect your CD or another drive on it? When you say it is not recognized, it does not appear in the boot bios, or is that when launching windows, it crashes, and it puts a message like: "insert a disk"?

Another thing, it will not use mass with partitions? or install a multi boot with Linux for example?

I tried to connect CD/recorder on it (primary IDE) that is not recognized at boot BIOS. Usually automatic recognition enough except for the floppy disk drive, as I enter the BIOS.

Otherwise I've never done with my mass partitions, I created my partitions and then at the very beginning I did most affected! I never reformatted or reinstalled windows!

Another track (although I think so too): the power supply of the disc. Branches depending on whether you drive on your IDE 1 or IDE 2, you use the same outlet of molex power supply? if yes, false track

Otherwise, try using a different molex plug