Thread: Cannot find harddrive in My Computer

Cannot find harddrive in My Computer

So i bought a HD case and installed and my computer recongnizes that it is plugged up, but when i open My Computer, it is not shown there, ive looked around for a solution and havent been successful, but what i think is wrong is my primary HD is a C drive and the HD in the case is a C drive, is there anyway to change or to format the HD in the case? Or to have two C drives going at once? Can anyone help?

Re: Cannot find harddrive in My Computer

Test the hard drive, you can use Hitachi’s drive fitness test. If you get errors during the test, most likely you’ll have to replace the hard drive. Also, make sure it’s properly connected to the motherboard. Reconnect the hard drive and try installing XP again. It might help.

Just in case, try low level hard drive formatting. For this purpose you can use Active Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser. It’s also possible that you have a problem with the hard drive controller on the motherboard but the only way to find out is installing a good known hard drive and installing XP. If XP cannot see a known good hard drive, most likely it’s a motherboard related problem.

I think you need to do some troubleshooting.
    • Unscrew screws holding side panel on to the case and remove, locate hard drive (usually towards the bottom of the tower)
    • Make sure the hard drives cables are securely attached to the hard drive inside the computer and that they are not frayed or damaged
    • On your slave drive & it shows up in Disk Management, you need to assign it a new drive letter to correspond with the new OS.Right Click on the drine in Disk Management & assign whatever letter comes up next. You can then access through "My Computer". Make sure disk is marked as active

Or you need to format it. Right click on my computer icon go to Manage, disk manager, If it is there and not partitioned or formated it will be grayed out, right click on it and select partition, (a partition wizard will come up) asking for the partition size. Unless you have a reason to change this just leave the values as they are and next. After it is partitioned. Again right click on the drive and have it format. it will ask which file system Fat32 or NTFS use NTFS and enter.This will format it

If the computer cannot see the CD or HardDrive you need to reset the BIOS setting to factory default settings and that should restore the drives to be used. Note: Hard Drive should be Primary Master and CD-Rom, (not DVD-Rom if you have one) should be Secondary Master. If you have a DVD Rom drive I recommend unplugging both power and data cords from it and making sure the CD-ROM is set to Secondary Master, NOT Secondary Slave.

This should allow you to boot to a CD and reload the operating system.