Thread: HDD is getting hotted

HDD is getting hotted

Hi All!

This is the problem i am persisting from last few months but still didnt find any solution for it.

i am having the problem with the Hard Disk getting heated.

Specification :

Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 ghz,
    1024 MB RAM,
    40 GB IDE HDD with windows installed in it,
    160 GB IDE HDD Seagate as primary slave.

Whenever i need to remove my HDD for some work after immediately working on it. i see its very hot i cant even touch it till 15 to 20 minutes....

Please Help!

Re: HDD is getting hotted

What are the temps of the other drives? Are they relatively close to 55C?

On my 6-bay Pro, you'll notice that the drives in the middle of each row (2 & 5) are hotter by a couple of degrees each:

Disk 1 Seagate ST3500320NS 465 GB , 38 C / 100 F , Write-cache ON OK

Disk 2 Seagate ST3500320NS 465 GB , 41 C / 105 F , Write-cache ON OK

Disk 3 Seagate ST3500320NS 465 GB , 40 C / 104 F , Write-cache ON OK

Disk 4 Seagate ST3500320NS 465 GB , 38 C / 100 F , Write-cache ON OK

Disk 5 Seagate ST3500320NS 465 GB , 42 C / 107 F , Write-cache ON OK

Disk 6 Seagate ST3500320NS 465 GB , 39 C / 102 F , Write-cache ON OK

Also, power down the NAS and use your vacuum cleaner to remove dust/lint from the front grill and around any other ventilation areas. With the unit powered down, you can also remove the drives (be sure to put them back in the same order) and make sure the air flow is clear inside the chassis.

It often has to do with dust (Fans are usually the most likely culprit). Cleaning your laptop is a good idea, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, most computer repair shops will do it for a small fee.

Note: if you do it yourself, do it on a hard surface (not around carpets or rugs), if possible not on a dry day. Remove the battery before opening the laptop. And use compressed air only, do not use any chemicals or solvents inside the computer.

If you lookup the model, often you can find detailed explanations of how to disassemble a laptop. As they all have different tricks to them.

Reseat the processor cooling fan (CPU/HSF). Be sure to use thermal compound and to correctly fasten down the inserts firmly to the MB

Do you have the option in bios to change the hdd modes? There should be something like bypass, performance and quiet. You can try bypass and quiet.

Hard drives however are supposed to get hot. Its a mechanical device. I mean they do get really hot.