Thread: Can I buy a 500 GB HDD for Elite K7S5A Pro

Can I buy a 500 GB HDD for Elite K7S5A Pro

I have an old machine that I installed myself 6 years ago and which I do not incur costs. It is mounted on a motherboard Elite K7S5A Pro, AMD 1800+, 1GB DDR RAM, Windows XP, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, CASE Textorm 6A19, screen Dell 22".... etc.

I have two HDD, Seagate 40 GB and a Seagate 80 GB. I do not have enough space. I would replace all this with a WD Caviar 500 GB while the ATA-100 (ie flat ground, not those fine serial ata).

The solution ultimately is to change everything and the new hard drive ata-100 found its place in a box.

I thought I read that some older motherboard there could be a problem to recognize capacity exceeding 160 (or 120?) GB. I found nothing certain about my model, it is expected a K7S5A Pro v5.0 and not the very common K7S5A all.

Someone will confirm that I can buy a HDD with a capacity of 500 GB with no problem of compatibility with motherboard of this kind? I called the hotline of a famous trader in the line where I was told that it was not the problem as long as it is the PATA. I want to buy from them but they just have more in stock this model

Re: Can I buy a 500 GB HDD for Elite K7S5A Pro

I think that leaving the K7S5A were issued for the hdd over 128GB is also the history of the limitation ata 100 (which is used for these IDE controllers).

I also think that there is great chance for a bios (official or even unofficial) has come to change this limitation.

No, it will, not work on the motherboard's IDE controller because of the
    137GB limit (up to 200GB reported with the latest BIOS). However, if you buy a PCI IDE controller for this motherboard, you can hook up any hard drive.

The problem is that I have to change if I can not put a HDD of adequate capacity.

Motherboard + CPU/Fan + RAM + Graphics card

I could add a controller card in the worst case, but it costs and more complications (if only to install windows)

there are always methods (software without buying equipment) possible to move large HDD on bios that do not support. You can learn via a search.

The one I prefer is the native windows. Windows 2000 or XP does not use the bios for the recognition of ide. if the hdd does not block the boot, just install xp in a partition limited to below the 128gb and should access the rest of the hdd by itself once booted. If the BIOS boot block because of the large hdd or limit on the LBA in the bios and boot it (and we recover the missing space as mentioned above) or it does not work and then put windows on another hdd recognized and it disables the whole channel hdd in bios (which is blocking the shot over the boot), windows still sees it as hdd storage once booted.

I used this method for years with success .... onto the server of armored 500GB hdd on ide motherboards limited to 32GB.