Thread: Function keys don't function under windows XP

Function keys don't function under windows XP

I have windows XP Install on my computer. I purchased a new Logitech Keyboard because I wanted one without a number pad since I use a pen tablet. I was trying to play with the function keys --I just need the audio ones--but it was unable to work.
    When I called for customer care they told me that they have also never come across such problem.

Please provide me some suggestion.

Thank you!

Re: Function keys don't function under windows XP

First off,,,,,use a PS2 keyboard and secondly, are you sure it's F1 to enter the Bios?

F1 is not as common as F2 or even the Del key. Try them all.

If the Bios has you locked out for some odd reason, open the computer, with all power removed. Take out the CMOS battery for about 20 minutes, then return the battery and restore line power. Boot up and again attempt to enter the CMOS.

Once in the Bios, make sure Legacy USB Keyboard support is selected.

That's as far as I can go without more info.....

This would be very useful for me when I'm running a Remote Desktop session to my work computer (on XP), since I need to use F8, F9, and F10 regularly. I found an app last week, called "fn" which flips all keys to their function-key counterparts by scripting System Preferences, but this is an all-or-nothing deal, and it would be nice to retain the lower function keys that I don't need flipped (like expose and dashboard) on my current-gen Apple keyboard.

Mapping of keypresses to escape sequences seems to be a horrible morass. The simplest way out may actually be to implement `key-mapping'. Otherwise we end up filling the entire `Keyboard' panel with options for everyone's favourite key mapping (perhaps we should move to a drop-down list?).

In particular, we have no way of knowing whether removing any of our existing options will break people's worlds, even if the thing they claim to emulate (e.g., xterm, rxvt has since changed its mind about its key sequences. So we can't just update the existing mappings to reflect the bleeding-edge versions of emulated software; we need to retain the capability to use the old mappings in some form.