Thread: Firewire 800 port on Powerbook unutilizable

Firewire 800 port on Powerbook unutilizable

Hello,

I just got a Seagate FreeAgent Go for Mac 500 with three connections.
    I have chosen for FW 800 and the speeds reported by MacWorld (which he is only 2 inches too!), Its performance, dock and what does not waste 5 years warranty + + beautiful design, in icing on the cake.
    I have a Powerbook G4 at the end of 2005 with 2 Firewire ports: 800 and 400.

Unfortunately there is a fault of size :
    Inability to completely push the cables in the FW 800 port on my Apple PB! This blocks half of the race!
    I just start in the FW 400: everything is OK and I have just tested it will be bootable and whims. (but I lose all the speed of 800)

Someone not-so 3 years ago 800 catches were different on the Power PC?
    Date of establishment of the FW 800 from Apple?
    It is stupid because I know this would be a different standard?

I bought (by the way, super service, super telephone and not paying available) and the VAS authorized Apple dealer has never heard of this problem!
    I do not see a defect in Apple motherboard with a bad set of FW 800 connector or a lack of connectors 800 on the 4 connectors 800 of Seagate (I've tried all!)?
    But I have a little difficulty in recognizing and understanding?

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome!

Re: Firewire 800 port on Powerbook unutilizable

FW800 ports have always been the same. I have a PB G4.
    Let your worries a connector or cable is your ...

in short as mine.
    Tomorrow I will test the cables in the shop and I test the port of PB with other cables! I look more for the port Apple, but still such a hardware problem.

In fact, I bought this to extend a Seagate 80 GB LaCie still operational, but a bit full. It began with difficulty to boot LaCie ascribed the blame on 10.4.11. On the occasion of all this, I discovered more:
    the LaCie hardware is invisible in TechTool Pro, while being visible in the same volume Techtool! It is visible in ISA and Apple Disk Util. Boot it with mock + Alt often than the system Prefs!
    Seagate is the IDEM and does not bootie and invisible Alt: Again, normal for the moment I put it to zero, as it came formatted GUID for Intel and referring tomorrow Apple partition map, and then cloned. To bet that he would like the LaCie?
    Sort Edrea contacted, does not understand! The two tests of my Firewire bus DB Techtool facts are OK!
    The "better" is that when I boot on the LaCie, Techtool not seen either, so that the system: clearly Techtool a failure to take serious information!
    This suggests a failure to trap enough connections FW "grafted" on the motherboard?
    Question: Is it an interchangeable part or my motherboard is it good to change?
    If yes, my PB is good for the break!
    What is encouraging is that this port 800 is like that from the beginning and my 3 years of Apple care is exceeded by 18 months!
    Pb firmware to explore, but how?

Yes keyway of the FW800 is better than the 400. It avoids accidents. Content that is not much, you can put the turbo on your hard drive

Between the smallest and largest dimensions, there are 5 / 10 mm, which explains everything and is too much!
    The hardest part is the dock of Seagate, which is unlikely to emerge as a USB. Once inserted, it is very hard to remove. Note that the locking pins (of 4 bits / 5) are not flexible ball slip but only 1 / 2 spheres of metal! Obviously the nozzle 800 with pins on it squarely flap is too loose after 5 plug! I passed all these exchanges to service Seagate and we'll see then