Thread: Reverse the contents of two drives

Reverse the contents of two drives

hi,
    I have 2 disks on my machine.the "large" (C drive) my programs and the other (D drive) my data. I would like to reverse them. I also have a large external drive (E drive).

What I thought to do:
    - Copy my data from D: to E:
    - Clone C: to D: (it is advisable to format D: before doing the operation?) Using DrvClonerXPwpe or DriveImageXML.
    - Disconnect the C: drive of the machine and restart the machine does boot automatically on the only remaining disk automatically assigning it the letter C:?
    - Reconnect the old C: drive, assign the letter D:
    - Copy data from my external drive to D:

Should we use DrvClonerXPwpe or DriveImageXML? I can not see what is the easiest way to use?

Thank you for your advice

Re: Reverse the contents of two drives

disconnect the C: drive of the machine and restart the machine does boot automatically on the only remaining disk automatically assigning it the letter C:?
    It depends on how the settings are made in the BIOS and how you set the jumpers on your drives ...

now if C: is master and D: in "slave" by removing C: you will have problems at startup (there will more than C: which boot, D: Left D:, against you by can tell the BIOS to boot on D:, which I advise) if present C: and D: are "cable select" (CS) the drive letter depends on the position on the IDE cable. removing C:, D: will become C: but as soon as you plug the disc is removed, it will resume its drive letter C and thus become the other D:

what you can do:
    1) everything in CS and plug your drives in the water according to the letter you want to take (descending order of priority for the allocation of drive letter is 1st drive on the water of the "Primary IDE" and the 2nd disc on the ground "primary IDE" (the one after the water), then 1st disc on the ground of the "secondary IDE", then the 2nd disc on the ground "secondary IDE")

2) leave unchanged the connections, and set the jumpers as you want for the allocation of drive letters (descending order of priority: primary master> primary slave> Secondary master> secondary slave) I advise you to put your system C: primary master, let the primary slave free if you can, save your data to D: in your secondary master and DVDRW (or any optical drive) in the secondary slave.

About XXcopy software (beta stage) It is not useful for winpe. It is not posiible, if booting from winpe, to clone C: to D:.

Why? Because for XXcopy C: is not HD but live-cd. If you try XXcopy will clone winpe live-cd to D: , no HD C: , without advice.

DriveImage XML enables you create a complete backup image of any logical drive or partition, allowing to to restore your entire operating system along with installed programs, user settings, registry and all. You can restore the image later to the same or a different drive, and also choose to copy the drive directly to another one.