Thread: DVD help needed Persario F500

DVD help needed Persario F500

Computer: Compaq Presario F500
    Issue: DVD/CDRW Drive stopped working - CDDVDW
    : TS-L632H ATA ( TssTcorp )
    Contacted: HP/Compaq - Now here.

Problem: My DVD-CDRW drive was not working correctly. The autorun program wouldnt do anything. Believing it was a hardware issue, because the rep with Compaq told me it was. I went and purchased a new CDDVDW drive. The problem is the idiot had me change the letter of the drive from "C" to "G". Now they wont help me unless I pay $39 bucks.

Questions: 1) How do I change it back to "C"
    2) How hard is it to do the swap out of the two drives
    3) Would it be better to pay $130 to Geek Sq**d to do it ?

Any advice would be most helpful !
    Last edited by RecordMan; 02-04-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Re: DVD help needed Persario F500

1) To change the drive letter:

• Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • In the Navigation pane, click Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition or drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click Add, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

• To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
      • To remove a drive letter, click Remove, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to remove it.

2) To swap the DVD drives:

Which DVD drive you have? SATA or IDE? its not difficult to install a new DVD drive. You just need to open a case and unplug the power supply cable and IDE or SATA cable going to Motherboard and and you have to plug this cables into new drive.

3) Never.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.6GHz, 1.44v) with TR Ultra 120E,
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 v1.1, 4GB G.Skill PI 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v ,
    Powercolor ATI HD4870X2 2GB, 4x SATA2 500GB Samsung HDD RAID 10,
    Creative X-Fi, Dell 2408WFP A01 24" LCD,
    Acer P221w 22" LCD,
    Corsair HX-1000 Watt PSU,
    Vista 64-bit.

To assign a drive letter to a drive, a partition, or a volume, follow these steps:

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

• Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
    3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
    4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    5. Click Add.
    6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
    7. Click OK.

you may also have a look at the following Forum link Discussion:
    http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1090559.htm

Thank you,
    I changed the drive letter. Then just to see if I wasted my money. I tried the current drive....... Want to guess what happened? it works! I guess it was a autorun software issue after all. I didnt even know that was a possible issue. Until I seen a posting here for the same issue. One download, FREE, Calling Tech support (not) priceless.