Thread: Flash Drive showing incorrect size

Flash Drive showing incorrect size

hi,
    i have Kanguru Mini Drive (1GB) USB Flash Drive,i have store around 512 mb data in that drive. Its not showing up anymore in windows vista and xp and just shows it as a 600MB drive no matter what I do. what happend to rest (400 mb) this happend for the frist time. i formated it to see any change but still i am geting 600 mb only. What has happened and what is the solution?Can anyone help!!!

Re: Flash Drive showing incorrect size

hi,
    You obviously don't care about losing files on it. You said you checked it with the Windows disk management, but did you try to delete the partition from there? I would use the Windows disk management utility and delete the partition completely and see what it says the size of the drive is then. It should show as 1GB Unallocated. If it does, then just recreate the partition as FAT32.

Downloaded a format utility from the manufacturers website, now it's stuck in write protected mode. I didn't even think this thing had such a mode, there is no switch on it.

Have you tried formatting the drive using the one built into windows? Just right-click on the drive (For XP) and click formatt. I think there are some settings in there that you can play around with too.

It's a long shot, but it's worth a go. Let me know if it works

hi,
    Using TrueCrypt, you create a password protected encrypted file that is stored on the flash drive. This encrypted file acts as a “container”, within which all the files you want encrypted are stored. When you connect your flash drive into a PC, this “container” gets mounted as a separate hard drive (provided you enter the correct password). And now, everything you save into this separate hard drive is encrypted automatically. This is where TrueCrypt really shines, providing transparent, real-time encryption. Plus, you don’t need TrueCrypt to be installed on the local computer.

Quote Originally Posted by T.j. View Post
    hi,
    You obviously don't care about losing files on it. You said you checked it with the Windows disk management, but did you try to delete the partition from there? I would use the Windows disk management utility and delete the partition completely and see what it says the size of the drive is then. It should show as 1GB Unallocated. If it does, then just recreate the partition as FAT32.
    Also www.download.com has a program, if you search it on there site, called "EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.0 Home Edition". download it it is free to try, install it, and than open it and select the flash drive and re-size the partition until you have the correct size. than at the top of the EASEUS window there is an apply button. be sure to click on that and it will re-size it to the correct size, that simple. Just remember, people make computers more complex than they really are.