Thread: Problem with New Samsung Hard Disk Drive

Problem with New Samsung Hard Disk Drive

I have recently bought a new hard disk drive. It is of Samsung HE642JJ
    Spinpoint F1 RAID Class. It's of 640 gb. I was really very much happy regarding the space i am going to utilize for myself. But it had other plans for me. I properly connected to the pin and then tried to install the windows vista as an operating system. The problem started here. Whenever i tried to work any application on it, it just reboots my computer. It just shuts down and restarts. no bsod or warning. This also happens during gaming, also sometimes while watching videos or sometimes Surfing the net. I thought i will enjoy the new hdd and it's large space, but it is troubling me like anything.

Please provide some help regarding this

Your help will be appreciated

Re: Problem with New Samsung Hard Disk Drive

First of all, from my understanding you can only have vanilla kernel if your processor is Core Duo and your mobo chipset is Intel. If you meet those qualifications, then you can install the vanilla kernel. HOWEVER, you must modify a few settings in your bios as well as shown below.

Execute Disable Function - ENABLE
    ACPI 2 Support - Yes
    and Speed step - Disable

I have the EXACT same problem you all have described...the automatic reboot after install. My BIOS is incredibly simple and so I don't even have the option to make these changes. BIOS!! Check these settings in your BIOS! If you don't see them in your BIOS, then you're probably problem like me.

go to BIOS and check the device priority. make sure that windows drive is on the Top at no. 1

When you reinstall your windows. make sure that u use a different hdd coz you cant rely anymore on a HDD which is showing signs of Death.

1st, be sure that XP is set to BSOD and not restart, in system properties - advanced - startup and recovery. That may or may not help get you an error message.

Next, open event viewer and see what it has to say about recent errors.

Still no luck, turn off auto-insert-notification.

Still no luck, uninstall Counterspy (whatever that is).

Did you make sure your power and HDD conectors aren't not loose? Also I never heard of counterspy but if it boggs down your system it's not worth the headache. I think it sounds like a loose power connector?? Also what firmware do you have on the drive compared to the company listing? What kinda cable do you have 40 or 80 pin or sata connector? If 80 make sure the cable is not kincked or broken and also make sure the drive is dust free since it's past the warranty you should be able to open it and blow out the dust and cleans the laser lens-that something I do when I need to.