Thread: Problem with HP Pavillion A510N

Problem with HP Pavillion A510N

I have a hp paviliona510n computer. Yesteday when i was working on it, the computer dectected some malicious files inside the c: drive. I tired with antivirus program and other such apllication to get rid of it, but no use. I thought of formatting the c: drive so to make other drives secure. but when i tried formatting the disk drive, it provided me some errors and said some files of this operating system cannot be copied. I also tried with reformat and repair but no possitive results.
    Please provide some views regarding this

Re: Problem with HP Pavillion A510N

According to Microsoft, the root cause of this problem is an incompatible hardware device or device driver. To resolve the problem, restart your computer; if the Setup program gives you the option to revert to your previous OS, take it. When your old OS (whether it's Win98 or WinMe) restarts, uninstall any antivirus and boot manager software and "clean boot" your computer. A clean boot is a simplified boot sequence that prevents device drivers, startup programs, and other settings from loading at boot time.

To clean boot in WinMe, click Start and Run and type msconfig in the Open textbox. Click the General tab and then click the Selective Startup checkbox. Under Selective Startup, click the checkbox to the left of each item to deselect the item. Then, click the Startup tab, find the *StateMgr entry in the list, and click its checkbox to select it. Click OK to accept your changes and click Yes when prompted to restart your computer.

Microsoft recommends that you take some actions before continuing. Remove both software programs using Add/Remove Programs. The System Restore Remover Pro works only with WinMe, so you won't be able to use this program with WinXP. Intuit's Quickbooks is compatible, but Microsoft advises that you remove the program, complete

During the installation, Windows XP's Setup program prompts you to check Microsoft's Web site for updated installation files. This is a good option to choose and ensures a trouble-free installation.

If the steps outlined above don't solve the problem, perform a clean boot in Win98 or WinMe as we described above and restart the setup process. If Setup still reports the error, unplug all peripherals that are not required to start your computer and restart the setup process. Microsoft even recommends that you clean your installation CD-ROM before proceeding.

You may be able to resolve this by copying the setup files from the CD to a folder in your hard drive. If you're installing WinXP to a clean hard drive, insert a Win98 or WinMe startup disk in your computer's floppy drive and reboot the computer. At the command prompt, type the following command:

xcopy [CD Drive Letter]\i386\*.* c:\i386\*.* /s /e

This command copies all the files in the i386 folder of your WinXP installation CD to a new i386 folder in your C: drive. The /s and /e command switches ensure that you copy all directories and subdirectories (even empty ones) to the new location.

Now, type c:\i386\winnt.exe to continue the setup process. Winnt.exe is the installation file that must be used when you're running the Setup program from a startup disk command prompt.

If you're simply upgrading an existing Win98/Me installation, click Start and Run, type cmd in the Open textbox, and click OK. At the command prompt, type the same command as above to copy the files. When the copy process is complete, type c:\i386\winnt32.exe to launch the setup process. The reason you use the winnt32.exe file in this situation is that you are running the Setup program from within Windows.

There are two solutions to this problem that Microsoft suggests. First, clean boot your computer and try to run Setup after the boot process completes. Please refer to the discussion above to find out how to clean boot in Win98 or WinMe.

The other solution is to copy the i386 folder from the WinXP installation CD to a folder on your hard drive. If you're already in Windows, simply use Windows Explorer to browse to the i386 folder in your WinXP installation CD, right-click the folder, and click Copy. Browse to a location on your hard drive, right-click, and click Paste. The copy process might take a few minutes because you are transferring a large amount of data when you do this.