Thread: Computer Startup is Too Slow

Computer Startup is Too Slow

I am facing with a dangerous startup problem. Whenever i tried to turn on my computer, it approximately takes 30 minutes to just log on the windows screen. The windows loading also takes very much time. My friends said that you have very less hard drive space left; but actually I have 80-90 gb of free space as i have 160 gb hdd.

I don't know what is actually going wrong

Please provide some help regarding this

Re: Computer Startup is Too Slow

The windows xp registry file is a database file that is part of windows xp. It contains all the information and parameters pertaining to your windows xp installation. It holds information about the programs that you have installed as well as the entire configuration parameters for your system. The windows xp registry file holds all the information on how the desktop looks to you.

Your computer runs fast when your computer is new and the windows xp registry file has not got much in it and is clean without leftover information. As your computer gets older and you install more programs as well as removing programs you do not need, your computer starts to slow down. This is because the windows xp registry file get larger and larger causing windows XP to take longer to find information. Your registry will also start to contain errors, which also has a slowing effect. By removing unnecessary files, your computer finds what it needs in the registry a lot faster. Despite this, the windows registry will still get filled up over time. Frivolous entries will clutter the windows xp registry file as it becomes full.

One way to reduce this is by using a Registry Cleaner. This works by removing and deleting unnecessary programs. It will also remove all those errors that have accumulated in the windows xp registry file. When you create or delete files or install or uninstall software, it adds to your registry. Unfortunately by removing programs, fragments are frequently left behind. Bits of the software programs are often still on your computer. If you leave these remnants, problems can be caused, sometimes making your Windows XP unstable and slowing it down cuasing problems problems in the future. Your registry becomes more and more clogged the more your computer is used.

Have you ever thought about a desktop cleanup? If not why not. Have you a screen full of zillions of icons that makes you spend all day looking for that one you used a couple of weeks ago. Cannot see your loved one’s picture that you used as a background because of all those little square things called icons cluttering up here face (sorry or his).

Never mind I have a solution for you. Why don’t you group all similar program icons together and stick them into a folder that has an icon itself. So all those photo folder shortcut icons you can put in a folder called “photos” and reduce the clutter. Just follow me this way and I will show you how it’s done.

First you need a folder. “Simple” just find an empty space on your desktop (if you can find an empty space) and right click on it. Up pops a window. In that window you will see a menu item called “new”. Put your mouse pointer over it and whey!! Up pops another window (gee this is fun) Left mouse click on the menu item called “folder”. Wadoyouknow, a new icon appears called “New Folder” on your desktop. Now, if you can find it, (It really does look like a folder, y’know like those you put in a filing cabinet.) you can change the name.

To change the name, just place your mouse pointer over the name and left click once. Then click again. Don’t double click fast or a bloody great window will open up in your face with nothing in it. Just click then pause then click again. The name will show blue with a white border. While it is like this just start typing in the new name. For this exercise we will use “photo’s”, then just hit enter, return, send or whatever they have decided to call it on your particular keyboard. (We will win one day against those developers who keep trying to confuse us).

Well that done so now we can start moving all those photo icons you have (“Fred’s photos” “our holiday snaps” or whatever into this new folder. I expect you have heard of “click and drag” There may be people who haven’t so I had better explain.

Find one of your photo icons and click on it with your left mouse button but keep holding the button down. Then move your mouse around while holding the button down. Wheee the photo icon moves around all over the place. You had better place it over the new “photo” and release the button before you lose it. God I’ve lost it! No you haven’t it has just gone inside the folder.

There are a lot of things you can do like cleaning up your disk, how to defrag your hard drive, fixing up your windows xp registry file and a host of other things. My blog “Windows XP Slow Startup” will show you just what you can do yourself to speed up your PC.

The only thing I can think of now, is that Norton AV is virus scanning all of the files in the background (as is common with virus protection), and it is slowing your starup.

Try disabling the AV once whilst starting up to see if this is the cause