Thread: Hard disk bad sector recovery

Hard disk bad sector recovery

hi,
    I have an IDE Western 60+ hard . One day my computer start freezing so i restart my computer and when I tried to install a new windows on formatted C Drive it tooks many hours and slowed down and prompt for bad sector, and windows unable to start in safe mode.Now i want to recover my important data but the system does not detect the IDE hard and i think that it's worsening and now it has a bad noise.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Hard disk bad sector recovery

hi,
    If your system won't boot successfully, you may have a corrupted registry. The following is the first step in the restoring your windows xp registry procedure that will enable you to boot your system with generic registry information.

Bad Sector 'Repair' Programs: These are pieces of software that typically overwrite areas of the disk that contain bad sectors. They work on the theory that overwriting the bad sectors with new data (usually zeroes) makes the sector more readable by the computer. Unfortunately if the files you want to retrieve contain a bad sector then running such a program will modify the original file and in some cases, if the damage is severe, will render the file inaccessible.

common CHKDSK utility provided by Windows Operating System may help to detect and mark for bad sectors. During a surface scan, it attempts to write data to that sector and then read back what it wrote. If the two do not match, the sector is marked as bad as it does not maintain data integrity. The operating system will note the particular sector and avoid writing new data onto that area of disk. After which, the bad sector will be remapped to a special sector on the drive which is reserved for this purpose.