Thread: Second hard drive is not recognize

Second hard drive is not recognize

Hello,
    Could you help me solve a problem? To add a little space in my computer I took the Ultra ATA hard drive of my player-recorder and installed in the computer by putting it on cable select and connect with the water (not with the connector after the water but with the middle). Data drive is my first SATA master and allow manipulation in the plant that I have left intact with its own cable. Once Windows starts I have not found any new disk into the workstation. Am I doing something wrong manipulation? Was it the first install with an installation CD? In the BIOS there follows:

Primary Drive SATA Hard Drive .....
    Second SATA. Drive Off .....
    Primary Master Drive Off ...
    Primary Slave Drive Off ....
    Second. Second. Master Drive...CD-Rom Device
    Second. Slave Drive....Off
    On IDE Drive UDMA On .........
    I have a motherboard Dell Dimension 8300

What is needed for Windows acknowledge my second hard drive? Thank you in advance for your answers.
    |===================|
    |YAY if that made sense...|
    |===================|

Re: Second hard drive is not recognize

Hi,
    I fear that there have some confusion in your explanations. To my knowledge, the cables that connect SATA hard drives to the motherboard can not connect more than one hard disk to the motherboard. I wonder about the word MASTER in your message.

Similarly the concept of cable select. I'm going to search the SATA mode to check a thing or two.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, that's what I said. So I left the first disk, SATA, as it was, with its own cable connected to the motherboard. The second, the ultra ATA I connected with the water by moving the jumper position on the SLAVE or CABLE SELECT. If I understand the explanations found on the net, the disk must be MASTER and the other to SLAVE. Obviously, it did not work on my computer. Now I do not know how.

In fact you have a SATA disk and an IDE drive (not SATA).You also have a reader / writer CD / DVD also IDE. A priority, and subject to the capabilities of your BIOS, you must know this: It is never a branch in SLAVE hard drive (or Cable Select) with a CD / DVD.

In your case, the answer is quite simple:
    • The SATA hard disk remains as it is (and is stated in the BIOS as boot disk). Normally, there is nothing to change this side.
    • Your IDE hard disk must be MASTER (move jumper on the disk). This location is between the branch or on the water and plug or the power supply.
    • The IDE hard disk must be connected to the PRIMARY IDE connector of the motherboard (one side) and the connector end of the IDE cable.
    • The CD-ROM is connected as it is now.
    • Note that this requires you to have two separate IDE cable.

If, having done this, your drive is still not visible in the file explorer, the question of how the reader-write recording data on the disk. It is possible that the format of writing is incompatible with your computer.