Thread: Problem with my New Hard drive

Problem with my New Hard drive

hi there

I am facing through a strange problem regarding my internal hard drive. Two weeks back I have bought a 250 gb sata internal hard drive and just yesterday i was doing some work and my pc crashed. I was stunned and the pc rebboted itself and after windows loading i saw message that due to some hard drive problem the machine has to do restart. And today while working it suddenly got freezed.
    Please help me with this problem

Re: Problem with my New Hard drive

Otherwise it might just be a hardware problem. I suggest you don't use it untill you get the hard drive coppied on to the new one. Maxtor makes great hard drives just don't get the Dimond Max hard drives they make. These Dimond Max hard drives are not like other Maxtor Hard drives they don't like older computers.

Step 1: Make Sure You Are Prepared to Recover the Data

There is no point in trying to freeze the old hard drive if you are not prepared to immediately copy the data off of the failed hard drive. You should have a new hard drive already installed in the computer or have a different computer setup and ready to go. As soon as you hook the old hard drive back up to see if it works you'll have to be ready to start copying the data onto a fresh hard drive.
    Step 2: Freeze the Hard Drive

Place the hard drive into a Ziploc bag and seal it. To be extra safe you can also place the drive in an anti-static bag then place it into a Ziploc bag. Place the failed hard drive into the freezer for around two hours (you can try doing it longer if two hours does not do the trick).
    Step 3: Restore the Files

As soon as you remove the hard drive from the freezer install it into the computer right away as the slave drive and boot it up. If you can access the drive begin recovering the important data right away. If you are able to recover the data using this method the drive will usually work for approximately 20-30 minutes. If the method does work and you are not able to get all of your data recovered before it fails again you can freeze the drive again and try again. If the drive still does not respond you can try freezing it for a longer period of time (24 hours), but you may be out of luck.

a) Have you a good Internet Security programm?

If so, and it is up to date, do a full system scan.
    Before doing so, run tools/internet options to delete temporary files. This will reduce the time for the scan.

b) have you ever defragged the hdd?

Go to the Western Digital web site and download a free diagnostic utility, and test your hard drive. There are usually two non-destructive tests - a quick and a longer one - it should pass both. If it has problems only with the data organization on the drive and there is nothing else wrong, that's also a pass, but there are problems with your Windows installation.
    If it passes the diagnostics, you will then know the problem is caused by something in your Windows installation.

If it doesn't pass both diagnostics, the warranty on your drive is at least three years. If it is still under warranty you don't have to pay the full price of a new drive. Even if you don't know where the original bill for it is, you can determine whether it is still under warranty on the Western Digital site. If it is still under warranty, you have two options:
    - the more expensive one is you can go online and get an RMA and have Western Digital ship another drive to you (it will be the identical model, refurbished if thats' possible, or the closest new equivalent) - you pay the shipping up front, and it's shipped a fast way that gets the drive to you quick but it costs more money. You ship the defective drive back to them at their cost in the same packaging they sent you, within a short time. You have to supply a credit card number - if your drive is truly defective, you end up paying for only for the intial shipping one way - if it is NOT found to be defective, you are charged the full price of the drive, plus the shipping both ways.
    The advantage of this method is if your hard drive is still somewhat usable you may be able to continue to use it until the new drive arrives, and you can transfer any data you want to preserve from the old drive to the new one if you want to before you ship the old drive back.
    - the other method is to go online and get an RMA, and ship your drive to a designated place, as slow and as cheap a way as you like. The disadvantage of this methid is you will be without a hard drive until the new one arrives, and if that is the only hard drive you have, without the use of that computer. If you need to preserve data on the drive, you have to copy it somewhere else before you send it. You will probably be required to supply credit card info for this method as well, but you will not be charged anything if your hard drive is defective.
    With either method, your warranty period will be the remainder of the original period, but chances are the drive should be relaible for at least three years after that.

what is cost of a 250 gb sata internal hard drive right now ?

You can get the 250 Gb Hard disk drive at the rate as mentioned below:

• 250 GB Sata Western Digital @ 1,750/-
    • 250 GB Sata Seagate @ 1,700/-