Thread: Laptop shutting down frequently

Laptop shutting down frequently

hi,
    i have HP Pavilion dv6636nr Laptop with 2.0GHZ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR, 160GB HARD DRIVE, 2GB RAM,GEFORCE VIDEO CARD ( UPTO 559MB SHARED ) DVD RW, CD RW,WEBCAM BUILT IN, MICROPHONE BUILT IN, WIFI BUILT IN it doesnt work fine, it get shutdown automatically after some time.I decided to pull some things apart. Thinking it was the hdd, tried a new one, no fix, It keeps giving me the message that the system will shut down in 60 seconds.installed windows xp.Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Laptop shutting down frequently

hi,
    It could be a virus, or your computer's other software or drivers. Unfortunately bad drivers for any hardware on your system can cause the machine to crash or go to a shutdown without warning. I've also heard of this as a symptom of a virus (though typically a poorly written one). It's more common that you'll actually get a message, but nonetheless, it's still possible that bad software, particularly hardware drivers, could cause it. As always, make sure your computer is up to date on Windows, and of course anti-spyware and anti-virus software as well.

• The keyboard and the bottom of your laptop are very hot when the laptop is working.
    • The CPU fans are working all the time at maximum rotation speed and operate much louder than before.
    • The laptop suddenly shuts down by itself without warning. When it just started, the laptop was shutting down after 1-2 hours and how it shuts down after 5-10 minutes of operation.
    • The laptop works fine when it runs idle, but shuts down as soon as you start using any memory demanding applications (DVD player, image editing software, video editing software, etc.)

hi,
    If you are not running Spybot while in Safe Mode, then reboot into Safe Mode and try it. I know it can be a pain, but it is usually best to do the scans and cleaning in Safe Mode. Especially when you think there is an issue.