Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagate External Hard drive not detected

Re: Seagate External Hard drive not detected

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1 View Post
    Try downloand this free software:

partitionwizard

Install the free software and select the drive letter for your external drive.
    Click on Disk in the top menu
    and select Rebuild MBR
    Click Apply then check My Computer in Windows 7 to see if you can access the external HD now.

Good Luck!
    This was the best advice for me, though not necessarily the fix. I had to assign a drive letter using this program before the drive would be recognised again. Simply right click the drive and choose "change letter".

Thanks.

Guys need help.. I am using an seagate external of 250gb. Its getting detected but can't open it when u right click properties it shows 0 drive size. Can't be formatted also. I used seatools n try'd but the long generic test fail'd.I check'd it for warrenty it showed composite warrenty n ask'd me to give it frm where i buy'd.. But the problem is that its been gifted to me by my sis frm dubai n i don't have bill or anything its hardly 2 years since i got it n haven't used it much. Please help what should i do. N also while trying to format it shows size as 91gb only.

Quote Originally Posted by raggya View Post
    Guys need help.. I am using an seagate external of 250gb. Its getting detected but can't open it when u right click properties it shows 0 drive size. Can't be formatted also. I used seatools n try'd but the long generic test fail'd.I check'd it for warrenty it showed composite warrenty n ask'd me to give it frm where i buy'd.. But the problem is that its been gifted to me by my sis frm dubai n i don't have bill or anything its hardly 2 years since i got it n haven't used it much. Please help what should i do. N also while trying to format it shows size as 91gb only.
    Have you tried to check the drive in another computer or try another SATA port. If this issue is specific to the motherboard that you have or port, check with the motherboard manufacturer (or computer manufacturer) for any updates or solutions they may have in place regarding the same. Do you recieve any error codes?

Thanks for reply buddy. Yes i have try'd the external in other 2 laptops n a pc its the same thing gets detected can c a drive but if you try to open it will ask to format.. It doesn't show any error. I have even try'd the hardisk on my tv which shows error that usb storage has some problem please check usb..

oki i try this extrnal in a lappy.. The drive does nt come up in mycomputer.. In Disk Management it shows a 238 gb unallocated disk 1

Quote Originally Posted by raggya View Post
    oki i try this extrnal in a lappy.. The drive does nt come up in mycomputer.. In Disk Management it shows a 238 gb unallocated disk 1
    If the drive is unallocated then you can easily recover it. You just need to make sure that you have your Windows power settings so that the drive does not power down and go to sleep. Then use Recover My Files to run a "Recover Drive" search on the hard disk in automatic mode. Hope that helps you out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12