Thread: New Hard disk problem

New Hard disk problem

I have have just cloned my old hard disk on to a new 500GB WD Caviar Green disk. My mother board is Asus Motherboard K8V-MX. The Bios is picking up the new disk fine.
    My problem is when I disconnect the old disk and plug in the new disk and boot up again the new disk won't boot.

Any solutions ?

Thanks

Re: New Hard disk problem

you have to make change in the bios setting. When you boot your original hdd then make it primary in your bios setting.

When the PC starts the screen should tell you what key to hit to get to the bios settings - often it's "Del" or "F2" .
    Once in there look at the boot settings and see if there is a way to change the boot order and bring the new disk up to the top of the pile. That might be all you need to do.

If not - there might be something wrong with the new drives boot sector or the software has failed to make the drive bootable. Windows sometimes doesn't like you making another disk bootable if it thinks there's another system on the disk so if you can't make the changes in the Disk Manager you'll need to download a disk utiility which will let you create a boot disk and run a quick utility to set the disc correctly.

Which software you used for cloning? Acronis is the best cloning software i have used , and yes it clones all data and the cloned hard drive can be used as a boot drive.

Refer this trick to clone HDD successfully : How to clone a Hard Disk Drive ?

Refer this similar threads : transfering from one Hard drive to another
    http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/23073.htm

If you have still remain your old data on your old HDD then try to clone again with any of the good procedure , one is mentioned in above trick . Good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"