Thread: Dell laptop won't power on

Dell laptop won't power on

hi,
    i have I have a Dell Ispiron Inspiron 13,Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache),Display and Camera,Glossy, widescreen 13.3" LCD (1280x800) w/o Camera,Hard Drives Size: 250GBSATA Hard Drive (5400RPM),Primary Battery37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell),My Dell pc stopped powering on and I've tried everything I can think of to correct it. I press the power button and lights flicker for a second but the fan does not turn on and there is no AC power attached the lights light up while I press the button, but no start up.Disconnected power switch leads and used a jumper but didnt slove the problem. What has happened and what is the solution?Can anyone help!!!

Re: Dell laptop won't power on

Try to turn on the laptop with an external monitor attached and see if you can get video. It is possible that the laptop works fine, but the video cable on the back of the LCD screen was disconnected and you cannot the internal video. Check if the memory module is seated properly; remove it from the memory slot an install back. Reconnect all cables that you can access. Any loose connection can prevent the laptop from starting.

hi,
    It is possible that you have RAM problems. If you have more than one RAM module in your system, try removing different modules and seeing if you can boot. If you can boot with one of them removed, you've found the bad module.it's also possible that your CPU is overheating. If this is the case and you test too much, you run the risk of frying your CPU.

Sounds like it could be a sticking switch. This should be near the hinge. After you've switched on try pushing it in and letting it spring out and see if that does it.

hi,
    this sounds like the jack that is in the laptop (the plug in part where your power supply go's into) if you know about soldering iron it might be fixable. laptops have a bunch of screws and parts.i hope this will help you to slove the problem.

If your laptop won't power on or stay on, check a few things:

1.Ensure your battery is holding power. Some laptops will auto shut-off if the battery won't hold a charge. In that case, replace your battery and retry. Check your charging lights or indicators to see if your laptop is getting power and charging.

2.Check your AC to DC converter (the little black adapter you plug in your AC outlet.) This converts AC power into DC power. Is it abnormally hot? If so, it is probably burned out. Replace it. Note- high heat is not a true indicator of malfunctioning. It can be dead and cold as well. No power indicators on your laptop could be a sign of a dead or bad converter also. Converters WILL get hot (this is normal.) If it is REAL hot (to touch), then this is not good.

3.Check your power cord. Are there nicks or cuts? If so, unplugg it from the AC power and repair with electrical tape- better yet, replace it. Many computer salvage stores carry power adapter cords. They're cheap.

4. Check your laptop lid switch. If it is broken, you may have power but your screen may not come on. This is usually a little button or mechanism located close to the lid hinge that turns on or off your screen when your lid is open or closed respectively. Normally the operator does not push this button. These are fragile and broken easily on some laptop models. Sometimes these can be fixed, more often they will require replacements. If you aren't an expert repair person, get a technician to repair/replace it for you. Opening up laptops is a very delicate operation and much more difficult to repair than desktops. It may be worth it to spend the money for repair.

5. If you have tried these easy solutions and it still won't power on, then your problem lies elswhere. You may have an internal power switch or voltage regulator problem.. Internal problems will require professional help.