Thread: WD My Book World Edition NAS

WD My Book World Edition NAS

WD, the world's leader in external storage solutions, today introduced its newly redesigned My Book World Edition network storage drive, simplifying the critical but tedious task of backing up an entire household's precious files. Designed for consumers who have multiple computers on a home network, the new drive will be available in 1 terabyte and 2 terabyte capacities, and is compatible with PC and Mac computers.

Consumers are amassing increasing amounts of digital media on their computers, including irreplaceable photos, movies and documents. While 70 percent of users in a recent WD study of 1,500 U.S. consumers claimed to be "backing up," most use sporadic, tedious processes such as copying to CDs/DVDs or USB thumb drives. Having several computers multiplies the work. My Book World Edition network drives are designed to automate and simplify the backup chore for the 36 million networked homes in the U.S. according to research firm Parks Associates. Just plug the My Book World Edition drive into a network router, click a few buttons and the My Book World Edition storage device backs up the files from all the PCs and Macs on the network. Any changes to the files on these computers are automatically and continuously backed up to the drive.

"For easier safekeeping of personal files and media collections stored around the home, families need network storage solutions with true plug-and-play installation, automatic backup capability and familiar file organization," said Kurt Scherf, vice president and principal analyst with Parks Associates. "With My Book™ World Edition, WD is delivering peace-of-mind for users who want to easily back up all their computers, as well as bringing to the table media centralization, streaming and remote access functions for more advanced families."

My Book World Edition's massive capacities are available from any computer in the home. Combined with high performance, this makes it easy to build a shared digital media library. Music, photos and videos can be streamed directly from the My Book World Edition drive to any PC, Mac or connected DLNA media player (such as Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation3 game consoles, wireless digital pictures frames or TVs) using the integrated UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) media server and iTunes Music server software. Families can also securely access and share their centralized files from anywhere in the world where they have access to the Internet, using the My Book World Edition drive's Web remote access service.

"Finding a simple way to stay backed up can be a daunting task for consumers, especially when there are multiple PCs to protect," said Jim Welsh, senior vice president and general manager of WD's branded products and consumer electronics groups. "With a My Book World Edition drive, it just takes a few simple steps for a family to automatically back up all the computers in their home and keep the backup continuously up to date. Media streaming and remote access add fun and flexibility to the mix making My Book World Edition a great choice for today's digital home."

Price and Availability
    The new My Book World Edition network hard drives are available now in the 1 TB capacity and expected later this month in the 2 TB capacity at select retailers and WD's online store . MSRP for the My Book World Edition storage system with 1 TB is $229.99 USD and 2 TB is $449.99 USD.

Features
    • The new My Book World Edition network hard drives feature:
    • Automatic, continuous backup for all the computers on your network;
    • Simple file recovery for lost or damaged files;
    • Centralized storage and sharing for all your family's digital content;
    • Best-in-class performance;
    • Easy access to all your data from anywhere, anytime;
    • Works seamlessly on networks with both Windows and Mac computers;
    • Media server capability with DLNA 1.5 and UPnP certification to stream content to XboxBOX 360, Playstation3, wireless digital picture frames and connected audio receivers;
    • Centralize and stream music collection to a Mac or Windows PC using iTunes software;
    • Remote sharing of personal content like photos or documents with family and friends;
    • USB 2.0 Utility Port to turn any USB drive into an instant network drive or extra capacity for the My Book World Edition;
    • Cooler, quieter, eco-friendly design with WD Green Power Drives which run cooler, quieter and consume up to 33 percent less power1;
    • Capacity gauge to see at a glance how much space is available on your drive;
    • High-speed data transfer with Gigabit Ethernet; and,
    • 3-year limited warranty.

Re: WD My Book World Edition NAS

My Book World Edition Home Network Storage makes it easy to set up a central storage location in your home that is compatible with both Mac and Windows files. Simply connect the drive to your network router and you’re up and running in just a few minutes. Use the included back up software to protect your family’s PCs with automatic and continuous backup plans. Store all your digital media in one central location so everyone in the family can have access to it. Remote access technology lets you securely access files from anywhere, anytime.

• Automatic and continuous backup for all the computers on your network - Now you can easily back up data from all your home computers with the included continuous backup software. Set it and forget it; every time you save something it's instantly and automatically backed up.
    • Simple file recovery - Restore lost, damaged or older files back to their original location with a couple of clicks. Backup files are stored in the same file structure that you originally saved them, so it’s easy and intuitive to find files.
    • Centralize all your family's digital content - Store or backup all your digital files and media in one central location so everyone can access and enjoy your collection from any computer in the home.
    • Stream digital media anywhere in your home - Built-in media server for streaming music, photos and movies to any DLNA certified multimedia device such as Playstation 3, Xbox 360, wireless digital picture frames, and connected audio receivers. DLNA 1.5 & UPnP certified.
    • iTunes server support - Centralize your music collection and stream to a Mac or Windows PC using iTunes software.
    • Remote access - Access your files anywhere, anytime using MioNet remote access technology from WD.
    • Works seamlessly with both Windows and Mac computers - Access and save files seamlessly from both your Mac and your Windows computers.
    • Best-in-class performance - My Book World Edition uses cutting-edge technologies to deliver high performance read and write speeds ideal for the most demanding users.
    • Easy to set up, easy to find on your network - Set up is a snap; in just a few minutes you’re up and running. Mac and Windows Vista computers will automatically find your My Book drive in seconds. Our simple discovery software makes it easy to find the drive with Windows XP systems.
    • Share your personal content - MioNet remote access technology makes it easy for you to securely share photos and documents with friends and family.
    • USB 2.0 utility port - Turn any USB drive into an instant network drive or extra capacity for your World Edition.
    • Cooler, quieter, eco-friendlier - Equipped with WD drives using WD GreenPower technology, this system consumes significantly less power and delivers performance on par with power hungry network storage devices using 7200 RPM hard drives.
    • Capacity gauge - See at a glance how much space is available on your drive.
    • High-speed data transfer with Gigabit Ethernet - Gigabit networking and transfer rates are five to six times faster than other standard 10/100 Ethernet network storage systems. This performance is comparable to USB 2.0 direct-attached storage.

Use This Product When You Want To
    • Automatically back up data from all the PCs on your network to one central location.
    • Centralize your photos, movies and music for everyone on the network to access.
    • Seamlessly backup and store data from both Windows and Mac PCs with best-in-class data transfer speeds.
    • Stream movies and music to your TV.
    • Get files from home while at the office or traveling.

What It Can Hold
    • Up to 571,000 digital photos
    • Up to 500,000 songs (MP3)
    • Up to 50,000 songs (uncompressed CD quality)
    • Up to 150 hours of Digital Video (DV)
    • Up to 880 hours of DVD quality video
    • Up to 240 hours of HD video

System Requirements
    • Ethernet connection (network adapter, router, switch, or hub)
    • Windows XP/Vista
    • Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard
    • Web browser (Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 and later on Windows platforms supported by this product, Safari 2.0 and later on Mac platforms supported by this product, Firefox 2.0 and later on supported Windows and Mac platforms)
    • Adobe Flash ActiveX 9 or higher (required for WD Discovery)
    • Broadband internet connection

Package Includes
    • Network hard drive
    • Ethernet cable
    • AC adapter
    • Software CD
    • Quick Install Guide

Specifications

Performance Specifications
    • Transfer Rates
      • Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mb/s capable

Physical Specifications
    • Capacity 2 TB
    • Interface Ethernet

Physical Dimensions
    • English

• Height 6.81 Inches
      • Length 5.78 Inches
      • Width 2.28 Inches
      • Weight 2.41 Pounds

• Metric
      • Height 173 mm
      • Length 147 mm
      • Width 58 mm
      • Weight 1.09 kg

Environmental Specifications
    • Temperature (English)
      • Operating 41° F to 95° F
      • Non-operating -4° F to 149° F

• Temperature (Metric)
      • Operating 5° C to 35° C
      • Non-operating -20° C to 65° C

Electrical Specifications
    • Current Requirements
      • Power Dissipation
      • AC Input Voltage 100-240 VAC
      • AC Input Frequency 47-63 Hz

I hope this is new because the old models are functional, but the rate is not up to what can be expected. AND I hope they are still "hackable" as the old, it runs on linux, you can install two three cool apps .