Thread: Disc Drive Won't Open

Disc Drive Won't Open

hi,
    i have problem with my cd player, A cd is in the drive of the laptop and 'eject' is not working? I rebooted and checked my computer and even the cd icon driver is not shown.I tried disk utility, the eject key, ejecting from the menu by running the eject.menu in the System Library.It seems with disc that I copy to cannot be opened. Is there some block or something?
    What has happened and what is the solution?Can anyone help!!!

Re: Disc Drive Won't Open

Maybe it is just a problem with that particular disk. Have you tried it in another computer to make sure.Shut down the computer with the disk in the drive, hit the power button and hit eject button before it starts to load windows.

hi,
    there is another way to slove the problem:
    shut down the computer and restart,if the drive will not open after the restart then you need to open up your computer and disconnect the power to the drive. open the drive door and check for obstructions,If it is an obstruction it probably had a cd/dvd it it for a really long time and they get hot and spin at very high RPMs and tend to bust the CD/DVD into pieces.
    and last the drive is getting old.

it is a loose or ill fitting power cable. When you disconnected and re-plugged the power cable in, it fixed it.I've had something similar to this happen with a DVD-ROM drive. It turns out the metal ring contacts which were part of the female power connector were loose. A quick crimping with a pair of pliers did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by killen View Post
    it is a loose or ill fitting power cable. When you disconnected and re-plugged the power cable in, it fixed it.I've had something similar to this happen with a DVD-ROM drive. It turns out the metal ring contacts which were part of the female power connector were loose. A quick crimping with a pair of pliers did the trick.
    The next time, if you still can't remove the CD or DVD from the drive, it is possible to open the tray manually. There should be a small hole in the drive, perhaps 1mm in diameter or less. If you insert a stiff wire, such as an unfolded paper clip, into that hole it will release the drive lock and the tray will open.