Thread: Windows XP and 127 GB

Windows XP and 127 GB

I reassembled my computer with one hdd of 500GB, but my worry is that I have an old version of Windows XP, and therefore only a partition of 127GB was created on my 500GB hdd.

I know this is normal, but I would like to extend to the maximum. Because I would like to see me the way forward.

I saw that I could create an additional partition, but I do not know how, so I would like to know if it is not a problem, or if it is better to extend the existing one. Obviously I want to do this with free software if that is what to do.

Re: Windows XP and 127 GB

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> atapi -> Parameters

Create a new DWORD value and name it EnableBigLba (case sensitive) and give it a value of 1. Reboot. Now go to Start, Run and type "diskmgmt.msc" and you should see the remaining capacity of your disk and you can do what you want!

Thanks pddaugusto for your help, but the thing is that it is unallocated, and that I could create a second partition.

I would have preferred to extend the existing partition to have the entire capacity of my disk in one partition. I saw on the net that we could do this, but only with paying software (still searching).

In the end I'm not bothered about creating the second partition, but I have read a lot of the stuff on Internet who say it can create some problems, especially loss of data or performance.

So I need your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    In the end I'm not bothered about creating the second partition, but I have read a lot of the stuff on Internet who say it can create some problems, especially loss of data or performance.
    It is the opposite. No one on internet recommends to have one partition on a disk. You'd better make:

C - 20 GB for Windows Completely
    D - SWAP 1.5x amount of your ram, or the partition you created it at the head of another powerful HDD.
    E - Program file, see a size depending on what you want to install.
    F - Your docs, storage, etc., all the rest of HDD.

And separating the Windows Program Files from the system drive reduces the fragmentation of files. It also avoids accidental losing of files in case of system crash (or when reinstall operating system, if you prefer not to lose files ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Thanks pddaugusto for your help, but the thing is that it is unallocated, and that I could create a second partition.

I would have preferred to extend the existing partition to have the entire capacity of my disk in one partition. I saw on the net that we could do this, but only with paying software (still searching).

So I need your advice.
    Then try something like this:

EASEUS Partition Manager: EASUS Partition Manager works with different file types and can handle hard drives of up to 800 GB. But the most outstanding feature is definitely the fact that you can move and resize partitions live, that is, without erasing them or losing any data. Just remember that you'll need Administrative rights in order to be able to use it.