Thread: USB to IDE drive adapter not working ?

USB to IDE drive adapter not working ?

Hello, i bought a new ide to usb 2.0 adapter to baclup my data from my old harddisk from my old pc .so when i connected it and powered it the windows XP show that new device it detected and install it and give message that your new hardware is ready to use But it does not show up my computer or in disk managment utility .It does show in device manager as being plugged into a usb port, and the driver infomation sais it is installed and working properly. I just cant understand where Im going wrong! Could someone please help I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Re: USB to IDE drive adapter not working ?

You can fix this issue by following some simple steps given below.

1. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window will appear.
    3. On this disk management window, you can see some drives including the portable drive. Right click on your portable drive and click change drive letter and paths.
    4. Now a assign a new drive letter which is not being used by any of your drives in My Computer.
    5. After assigning the new drive letter your portable drive will show up in my computer with other drives

have the check the pen drive file system format . what format it is NTFS or FAT. Try to keep the same format as your operating system. If nothing seems to be working go to Disk management by right clicking my computer and going into manage then select your pen drive and right click to go into explorer mode. as shown in above post

hello guys, i Had the similar problem.with my pendrive so i changed the drive letter, but it still did not work. after that Then I tried reset the drive letter completely, unplugged USB drive, then plugged it back in, assigned it the default drive letter, and now I can see it in the “My Computer” folder.

there can be need for setting drive jumper, depending on the type of disk and it brands , so i think for using it externally you nedd to change it jumper setting while using it externally. Many people will tell you the drive jumpers are irrelevant when connected via USB but that isn't always so. I know this from my own experience. See what happens if none of the pins are jumpered (ie remove jumper(s) completely). I don't have much faith in those 'IDE to USB' converter cables personally, I had one but soon bought a proper drive enclosure which never causes any problems.