Thread: USB to Midi Adapter - Class Compliant - Windows XP asking for driver??

USB to Midi Adapter - Class Compliant - Windows XP asking for driver??

Hi everyone

I recently purchased an OEM USB to Midi adapter.

The information on the pack, and from the vendor states that since it is a Class Compliant device, it does not require separate drivers installed and should work 'simply by plugging it in'.

I am trying to get this device working on my Acer Travelmate 243XC Notebook PC. It is running Windows XP Home edition, updated to the latest Service Pack (SP3).

When plugging the USB cable in, the device is recognised as a 'USB to Midi adapter', but the system follows through with 'Found new hardware wizard' and 'point to the location to install the software for the device'. I go through this as usual - even allowing the install to search on the Internet for drivers as well, but to no avail.
    After all this, my notebook reports (through the Device Manager) 'The Drivers for this device are not installed' and gives a big yellow question mark next to the device in the list.

I have tested the adapter on my main Vista PC and the device installs correctly on it. All well and good, but I need it to work on the XP machine.

Can anyone help or shed any light on this problem, please?

Further details . . .

1) The adapter is USB 2.0 standard, and so are the ports on the Notebook PC.
    2) This isn't the Logitech quickcam issue - I don't own one, and besides, this device is found correctly but never installs properly (it asks for drivers).
    3) The PC has a single processor.

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by VanDiesel; 31-01-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Re: USB to Midi Adapter - Class Compliant - Windows XP asking for driver??

Hi everyone

I managed to work out what the issue was . . . there is good news, and, of course, bad news.

The problem was (I believe) related to XP Home, or at least, two missing files on the Notebook PC.

C:\WINDOWS\INF directory contains the INF files, which reference the drivers. My detective work revealed there were two missing files, as compared to the XP PRO system I was comparing it with.

OVSOUND.INF
    WDMA_USB.INF

When copying those two files from the XP PRO machine, to my XP HOME Notebooks PC (placing them in the INF directory), the USB to Midi Adapter was found and installed correctly (as a 'USB Audio Device').

Now the bad news - This particular MIDI adapter is terrible!
    I am getting something like 1 sec delay (latency) between hitting a key on the MIDI keyboard, and the sound being generated by my SoftSynth on the Notebook. Don't get me wrong here - I am NOT talking about ASIO latency.
    The delay is being caused by the adapter. I see the light on the adapter flash when I press a MIDI key, and then about 1 second later, I see the MIDI trigger flash in the SoftSynth.

Anyone reading this article, don't bother getting this adapter - This device goes back to the shop tomorrow!

For reference the device is marked 'WELL CONNECTED' model 'BC-08C', USB MIDI Cable.

Chris

Greetings Chris,

I have that same e bay USB to MIDI Adapter, and it worked like a champ with my reason setup. BTW your delay problem wasn't the adatper, it was your soundcard driver. You should download asio4all http://www.asio4all.com/ ,and that should fix your delay. However I had to unplug my devise to do some remodeling and now , all of a sudden, Reason will not recognize the adapter anymore. My computer never recognixed it, but it mysteriously worked. Now the the mystery is gone and I need a driver!!
    I tried your hotfix, but still no luck. Any suggestions? ....Anyone?

I have Vista ultimate 64
    HP Pavillion a1210n
    2 GB RAM
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ 2.2GHz

Thanks
    Bass

I can't help out, I am afraid - The fact that it is asking for a driver means that the PC can't locate the right Class Compliant driver - This means missing files on your PC I would think.

Also, just to pick up again on your ASIO comment - Please read what I wrote - The issue was caused by the Adapter - This was not a software or driver issue.
    I already tried ASIO4ALL and two other free ASIO drivers.
    I also tried the adapter on a totally different PC setup with a different (professional) soundcard - Even tried two different MIDI keyboards. Exactly the same 1 second delay.

Shortly after my testing I threw the adapter in the bin. Maybe I was unfortunate and got sent a faulty item - No point in trying to send it back to China for a repair.

i feel you Dude. Well, thanks for replying.

Can somebedy help. I have Manhattan intellinet usb midi adapter and yamaha keybord with midi plugins. when i plug in usb midi adapter it has a red light and one green light on in but nothing is happening. i tried what you recomended but it doesnt work. pls help

Quote Originally Posted by fdphotmen View Post
    Can somebedy help. I have Manhattan intellinet usb midi adapter and yamaha keybord with midi plugins. when i plug in usb midi adapter it has a red light and one green light on in but nothing is happening. i tried what you recomended but it doesnt work. pls help
    Try downloading the manual for the USB to MIDI Adapter from here which will guide you how to make a proper connection and troubleshoot it. You can also try to download this USB-MIDI Driver for Windows XP driver from here and check whether it works for you or not.

I had the same cable - Made in china - same problem as you - returned it got my refund. I think this is a crap product - I tried everything - I also got another problem, it plays a note continuously -I tell you these people make all kinds of shit and sell it to the world.