Thread: Transfer VHS to DVD

Transfer VHS to DVD

hi,
    i want to know that what are the requirement to connect vcr to my computer?I have live performance VHS tapes of myself that I need to burn to DVD. Once i have that, what software would i need in order to watch my VHS on my PC, eventually transferring it to DVD?

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Transfer VHS to DVD

hi,
    Try to get higher card. Some cheaper cards suck quite a bit (especially the drivers,sometimes the generic bt8x8 drivers help though, but still a bad idea).
    I used to use VirtualDubVCR which was quite good at handling all the little issues (like sync problems that you get with VHS tapes and what not; compressing with a MJPEG codec). if you want to transfer to DVD, you'll need an MPEG2 encoder and something to author your menus and all that.

hi,
    If you don't have a system that's fast enough, you should get a product that can do hardware MPEG2 encoding. one of capture device is the Pinnacle Moviebox (although I wouldn't recommend it since it only works well with the Pinnacle software and the image quality is rather poor).

hi,
    Card that plugs into a slot or USB port that you can capture from vhs to computer and with a media software edit or clear up the image to improve image quality and then transfer to a dvd media.

follow this step to connect vhs to dvd:
    • Connect the DVD recorder to the video source. Use the higher quality S-video cable if you can; otherwise, use standard RCA dubbing cables for both video and audio. Connect from the VHS player output to the DVD recorder input. Connecting to a digital source is different. Consult your recorder's manual.
    • Select your recording media. Most DVD recorders burn onto DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW. The -R and -RW formats are normally more compatible with other DVD players, especially older players, but you should record and test to be sure of compatibility. If you are going to record to a DVD-RW or +RW disk that has previously been recorded, you will have to erase it first. Your equipment manual will tell you exactly how to do that.
    • Set your DVD recorder up to preview the input signal. Normally you will press record and pause.
    • Position the VHS tape source to the beginning and check the recorder's input. This is a critical step. If you don't get it right, you will waste a blank DVD or will get an inferior recording.
    • Begin the recording and start playing the VHS source. Don't cut off the beginning by playing before starting to record.
    • Watch the recording or plan to stop the process at the end. You don't want to continue recording static at the end of the tape.
    • If desired, add another tape or passage to the recording. You are not limited to just one tape source per disk. If you have a number of short recordings that would go well together, change tapes, and add these to your DVD recording.
    • Finalize the process. Unlike a VHS recorder, a DVD recorder requires a couple of extra steps before you are done. The DVD cannot be played on a standard player until it is finalized. First, decide if you want to add chapter stops to the recording. I highly recommend that you do. Follow your recorder's manual. Defining chapters is normally as easy as finding the right spots and pressing a button on your remote to define a chapter. Multiple recordings will show up on the DVD player menu as different titles. You will be able to label these titles for playback.