Thread: Power Supply fan getting On and OFF

Power Supply fan getting On and OFF

hi there ...........
    can anyone help me in understanding the problem or the reasons behind the continuous switching of Power Supply fan into Off and On condition?..
    this is dangerous as my machine do get heated in a very less duration.........
    please can you provide some suggestions regarding this one........

Re: Power Supply fan getting On and OFF

There are very few power supplies that allow their fan speed to be controlled by the motherboard, and even fewer that allow software to modify their speed. Even if your power supply is one of these rare beasts, you would not be able to shut off the fan using either of these methods. Even if you were able to shut it off using one of these methods, the fan would still spin up when first started since the system wouldn't have been able to give it the instruction to stop the fan yet. Given , I have no doubt that the failure of the power supply fan has everything to do with a device into it while running and has nothing to do with your tinkering around.

The biggest piece of conclussive evidence is the fact that the fan that was connected to the power supply also stopped working. This fan didn't stop working because the fan was fried since it worked when you plugged it into a different plug; rather, it wasn't working because that power supply connection wasn't receiving a current anymore. The only reasons a power supply connection would totally cease supplying a current is that one or more of the wires became damaged which doesn't seem to be the case here, the power supply is off not the case, or the current-supplying circuitry became damaged(which can happen when you connect/disconnect devices while the power supply is in operation.

As much as I would like to give you a ray of hope for your power supply, I have no reason to believe that your power supply is not damaged. As I stated before, you could try to make some fixes to it so the fan works again, but this would degrade the reliability of the power supply since you will be changing the way it normally works and run the risk of damaging the unit further.

It seems to be the fan on the outside of the powersupply that pulls air into the case is not working. The internal fan on the power supply seems to be running. However the ringing from the fan is what worries me. The pc was operational and after turning everything off, it became inoperable. When the pc is turned off, the ringing is still present until the power is severed from the outlet.

you may have fried some parts of your motherboard due to overheating, though that's not likely. Many new systems will not boot if they do not detect a working cpu fan.

buy a new fan, either install it yourself if you're comfortable with it, or have a tech install it for you and see if your pc works then. if not, replace your motherboard/cpu.

Fans are mechanical devices that can fail. In their best operation maybe less noisy than other times, but relatively be a constant noise level that's bearable. Any difference in noise level suggests its starting to go. If you have warranty, use it ASAP. Since, you believe its the psu at fault, then replace the whole unit. OR Replace using a less noisy fan alone that fits like the old one. OR Get a better rated wattage of a decent name brand psu as a replacement.

You should open case and inspect & verify all fan operation. Understand, some psu fans are multiple speed and can kick-in as it deems necessary, thus a higher noise level when in higher RPM. As a quick and possible, lube the fan. , but usually this is a desperate last resort and fan needs replacing anyways.