Thread: Modify Laptop Hard drive into External hard drive

Modify Laptop Hard drive into External hard drive

hello everyone........
    i wanted to ask a hardware related query.......
    My query is i have got a very old laptop and if i sell it it will be not profitable for me.......so my question to all is can a laptop be a external hard drive...........
    i mean to say can i somehow dis mental the hard drive of laptop and use it as a External hard drive or what you people say Portable device?
    please provide your feedback on this...........

Re: Modify Laptop Hard drive into External hard drive

i am giving you the best and simple solution for your query........
    Just try to manage or get a 2.5 IDE convertor cable and then attach it to a normal PC's IDE channel.
    no need to break your laptop into segments........
    this can do your job...........

Re: Modify Laptop Hard drive into External hard drive

you require few things for creating external hard drive from internal hard drive:

• Hard Drive Enclosure Kit
    • Screwdriver
    • Anti-Static Bracelet

Now follow these steps:

Step 1:

Buy an internal drive and kit. Remember that a laptop drive is a 2.5'' drive so you should be more alert regarding the size and internal dimensions of the casing when you purchase it to avoid problems later. When considering your kit, if you are using an IDE drive that you had laying around the house, you need to be sure that you purchase an IDE kit. SATA is the more commonly used method these days, and will not work with IDE.

Step 2:

Remove carefully the hard drive you have as a spare from your Laptop. Connect it to the casing as requested by the kit- plugging in the connector or using the cables provided in the kit. Close the kit around the drive using the screws that are provided in the kit.

Step 3:

Insert the USB cable into the drive, and plug the AC adapter into both the hard drive and the power source. Insert the other end of the USB cable into your computer. You should now be able to pull information from one drive to another.

Few Things you should always remember:

If you experience any issues, you should consult the documentation that comes along with the kit you decided to purchase.
    Remember to touch the outside of your computer case or wear an anti-static bracelet when you are handling the exposed hard drive.

This kit will charge you a bit less. Remember that in most cases it will not hold anything larger than 9.5 mm inside dimensions.

Follow the link for more information, or to purchase this kit:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...245&CatId=2781