Thread: Surge Suppressor Question

question Surge Suppressor Question

I just bought a new Belkin Surge Suppressor rated at 3180 joules. I know this rating is pretty high. I also know that surge suppressors can wear out over time or will go completely if they take a "hit". My question is: Will the rating of 3180 get smaller over time if it takes little hits? In other words, if it absorbs 1000 joules will I still have protection of 2180 joules. Forgive my naivety in this matter. I'm not an electrical engineer.

Re: Surge Suppressor Question

Yes it will... you don't need to worry about it at all... the rating of 3180 will not get smaller over time if the temperature is not fluctuating...! have a check on it regularly though... so have fun!

A surge suppressor uses a device called a Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV). These devices are rated by voltage, current and power (joules).

When the voltage exceeds the the rated voltage of the MOV, it will begin to conduct, producing heat. As heat is produced, the temperature of the MOV will increase (they're not usually found in places with lots of air movement). Eventually, the temperature will reach the point where it will cause portions of the MOV to deactivate (a permenant change). This pushes the current flow through a smaller area, which makes the heating problem worse, increasing the rate of deactivation. If the surge is large enough, or goes on for long enough, the MOV will become an open circuit, offering no protection.

A rating of 500 joules should be fine for a computer in a house. For most office spaces this would also be good. If there is a lot of industrial equipment around, the rating should be higher. In any case, the supressor should be replaced every year (company) or two (home).

Yogesh Guest

Hi mgordonb,
    I think you must have posted this question here thinking that it is a general Hardware Peripherals section. But I want to inform you that this Hardware Peripherals is only meant for computers and other computer related hardwares. In fact, the complete TechArena Forum & Discussion Board is meant for computer related discussions only.

As about your question, it is a part of Electrical hardware... nowhere related to computers and such technology. I suggest you to ask this doubt on discussion boards/forums meant for electrical hardware and related things. You will get better replies there

Anyways, hope to communicate with you on related topics further.