Thread: Missing OS

Missing OS

Problem: I have a hard drive that has Vista on one Partition and XPX on another. I deleted the xp one, now when I boot up it is tell me I am missing my OS, How do I fix this.

Re: Missing OS

Hello mnardone,
    Make sure the disk is being recognized in the BIOS and that the correct disk is being booted from. If you still have problems do a repair installation of XP.

Windows Xp was install in which drive if it was in Drive C: than you would get this error message.

when you startup, before you hear that sound, hold down the Option (alt) key. A menu should appear showing you your options.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.6GHz, 1.44v) with TR Ultra 120E,
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 v1.1, 4GB G.Skill PI 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v ,
    Powercolor ATI HD4870X2 2GB, 4x SATA2 500GB Samsung HDD RAID 10,
    Creative X-Fi, Dell 2408WFP A01 24" LCD,
    Acer P221w 22" LCD,
    Corsair HX-1000 Watt PSU,
    Vista 64-bit.

ThumbsUp Re: Missing OS

The first partition would be having the windows xp and vista in the other, so the boot sector [MBR] is always on the first partition no matter where you install the operating system. in the process to remove windows xp, you deleted all the boot files which are necessary for your system to boot. the solution is to install windows vista disc and boot from it. now their is an option to repair the boot settings in vista disc. follow the instructions and you will be overcoming your problem easily. All the best!

you had dual booting so menu of both os is created in dos option .now thing is how you deleted the xp ? i think while you did that you messed up in something and vista has suffered .try to repair it with boot able vista .or reinstall it .

Dr. V Guest

The following steps can be used to resolve the problem. However, if these steps do not resolve the problem, please contact your hardware manufacturer or have the drive serviced by a qualified service professional.

1. Start the computer using the Windows 95 emergency boot disk (EBD) or using a bootable MS-DOS disk that contains Fdisk.exe, Format.com, Sys.com, and Scandisk.exe (MS-DOS versions 6.2x only).

If your computer does not start from drive A, or if you receive a similar error message when you start from drive A, please contact the computer's manufacturer.

2. Use Fdisk.exe to view the partitions on the hard disk by performing the following steps:

a. Run Fdisk.exe from the EBD or bootable MS-DOS disk.

NOTE: If the hard disk was not partitioned using Fdisk.exe, use the appropriate third-party partitioning software to view the hard disk partition(s). For instructions on using the third-party partitioning software, please consult the software's documentation.

b. Select option (4) (Display partition information).

c. If the partitions are listed, make sure that the bootable partition is defined as active (look for an uppercase A in the Status column.)

d. If there are no partitions listed, use Fdisk.exe to establish new partitions and then use Format.com to format the partition you want to boot from.

WARNING: When you use Fdisk.exe or Format.com to create new partitions or format the drive, you lose any data on that drive or partition.

e. If all the partitions appear in Fdisk.exe, and one is defined as active, proceed to the next step.

3. Run the SYS command on the hard disk from the EBD or bootable MS-DOS disk. For example, type the following command:
    a:\sys c:
    If you receive the message "System Transferred," remove the disk from drive A and restart the computer. If you receive the same error message after you restart your computer, your hard disk may be configured improperly or damaged.

If you do not receive the "System Transferred" message, or if you receive an error message, run ScanDisk from the EBD or bootable MS-DOS disk (MS-DOS version 6.20 or later) to check for physical damage on the hard disk by typing the following command:
    a:\scandisk c:
    If you are prompted to perform a surface scan, choose Yes. If ScanDisk reports physical damage on the hard disk, have the hard disk checked by a qualified service professional.