Thread: Hard drive Overheating

Hard drive Overheating

hi friends......
    i have desktop HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7667c. It consists of 300GB Seagate SATA hard drive. it was working extremely perfect untill last few days i have started facing the problem of hard drive overheating. As per my knowledge
    i have ample of free space in Gb's and there is no such gaming pressure i exhert on it......
    so can you suggest some of the reasons why this event is happening because i am afraid of my hard disk crashing....?

Re: Hard drive Overheating

i am suggesting you this:

Don't use any special hard drive cooling if you buy a well designed case with good airflow over the hard disk drives. Justtry to locate the case below a fan which includes a 400 watt PS, probably of a 120MM fan which would ensure cool outside air coming in from the front over the hard drives.

for further suggestions visit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811124113

hi there....

HDD Temperature version 4.0.9

HDD Temperature Revamped:

The 4th version of HDD Temperature has been designed and coded from the scratch for faster performance and smaller footprint than ever before.

Brand-New User Interface:

The new interface of HDD Temperature is geared towards users. It's simpler to use and easier to understand. All information about your hard drive is laid out conveniently by the drive letter.

Detailed Report on Your Hard Drives:

All you ever wanted to know about your hard disks is fully disclosed by HDD Temperature 4. Learn about who manufactured your disk and when, the exact model number and the number of hours the disk has been used. Oh, and it monitors and reports and reason behind the disks' temperatures fluctuations.

Supports All Kinds of Disks:

New version of HDD Temperature supports all types of hard drives in a single tool, including IDE, Serial ATA, SCSI, and even USB.

Basic Disk Health Control:

Prevent data loss due to hard disk failures! The new HDD Temperature now reports basic information about the health of your hard disks, thus increasing data safety and storage reliability of your entire system. Detailed disk health reports are available with HDDlife, a dedicated disk health monitor.

Easily Affordable:

HDD Temperature is Cheaper and thus provides peace of mind and safety of your data as well as your Hard drive

The disk temperature monitor can be used in non-interactive mode by network administrators. All communications such as email notifications and turning off workstations are performed from within a system service, and do not require user interaction or logged-in users.

Lack of ventilation is generally the main cause of overheating in a computer.'
    or else
    If i was you i would put a case fan it there.... i have 3 12cm fans in my case. 2 in and 1 pushing out, 2 9cm and 2 8cms on my psu. my cpu runs hot 41 on the out side and 58 in the diode; the hard drive don't heat up at all but that's because of the 120cm fan pushes over them cool air.

True to a certain point heat can reduce the lifespan or in the worst case damage you hard disk and Manufacturer approves recommended max operating temp mostly between 45C-55c depending upon the capacity and their manufacturing facts.

i will recommended that you leave some space for air convection between hard disks and other devices such as Cd drive and to not stack them directly ontop each other . Most new case structures allow for the placement of an intake fan blowing a cool gush of air unto your disks, check if your case has that provision otherwise it is not hard to improvise one if you are creative.
    There are also other more expensive hard disk cooling options like water cooling appendages and sometimes little funny looking devices but in my experience, you should be sure of the precise heating status of your disks and not just use your hand to feel, be sure you have a problem . Try a program like speedfan, it liso gives the hard disk temp.

you can download it from:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=337

Well in this kind of situations you have to start with basics ............
    1. Try to check whether the hard drive is properly connected........
    2. make sure whether you have a white cooling liquid or a paste on your heat sink.
    3. Check whether your ventilation fans are clean...... if not clean them ........ try to remove the dust as well as small particles which generally get's hanged in the fan's blade............
    4. Try to place your hard drive at such a way that it shouldn't be surrounded by most of cables or any other devices.
    5. Make them place at a min far distance.......
    6. Check your power cables...............

Also having the same problem.

I'm having a Samsung SATA 80 GB Hard Disk running on an ASUS MB with an AMD Sempron 1.83 Ghz. I tested the temperature of the HD with softwares which supports S.M.A.R.T.

At the beginning the temperature is in the league of 36 degree celsius but after using some office apps or not too disk intensive apps, the temperature rises to about 52 degree celsius within an hour.

Is this because the HD is faulty ? The 2 fans inside the cabinet are working properly without any obstructions. The HD is 3 years old and very sparingly used.

I'm having another computer with almost identical config in the same room with a PATA HDD. There is no overheating problem with that HD.

Should I replace the HD ?