Thread: HDD won't load Windows installer

HDD won't load Windows installer

I just tried to switch from XP to the Windows 7 beta. The Windows 7 installer would gladly format my HDD, but afterwards it just told me that W7 "Cannot be installed to this partition." It says that about all my HDD's and partitions.

I decided to revert to XP, but now I can't even install that! I can boot the CD, start the set up and go all the way to transferring the installation files. When the computer reboots and should launch the installer from the HDD, nothing happens.

POST displays fine and there are no error reports, then I see the Ontrack display for my Dynamic Drive Overlay (used to need that for my old cpu) and then nothing happens for maybe 30 seconds. Then it asks me to put a disk in A:, even if I disable floppy booting in BIOS.

I've been told that my MBR was probably broken, but I've tried to run the Windows Recovery system and ran FIXBOOT (says its successful) and FIXMBR (says nothing at all), both with no change.

It used to say "NTLDR is missing. Ctrl+alt+del to reboot.", but it stopped saying that after I formatted with FORMAT C: from within Windows Recovery. Now it says nothing.

I'm trying to install to a 320GB HDD with 2 partitions, one with lots of important data and one that's empty and is supposed to be for the OS. I don't know what other info I need to provide... Please help!

Re: HDD won't load Windows installer

I think you need to repartition your HDD.
    Look at this http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320397