Thread: Can I copy a Hard disk to another?

Can I copy a Hard disk to another?

hello, here is my problem, I just made the acquisition of a new hard drive 640 GB, I now turn to my hard drive of 80 go, or are installed XP and various software programs, I have another hd 320gb where my games are installed. I wanted to know if installing the new HD 640gb I could copy over 320GB of that, knowing that the backups of my games are on the 80gb, and I thought then rename the new hd because of the way to find the xp games. thank you to help me.

Re: Can I copy a Hard disk to another?

Hi, there is a picture of your disk with a program like PC Cloneur, True Image, Ghost, or another. And you can deposit into your new disc, the exact copy of the old one.

If I understand you want to simply replace the 320GB by 640GB? Technically it is quite possible. You just copy the files can change the drive letter for him to find the installed programs as before. However I wonder about one thing: The 80GB is not he a bit old to support the OS? If already in your place I rather replace the 80GB and 320GB that will take a disc later and therefore faster for what is most needed.

A simple copy will not work, some games saves in BDD disk sectors (protection). you need the clone for everything to work.

Everything depends on whether the disc is full of departure or not.

If it is almost completed it actually will not change much. But if it is half empty it will take half the time to copy the data "by hand". Copy 320Go approximately 40MB / s there are more than 2 hours anyway! And perhaps that is not to copy (other temporary files.)

thank you very much for your response, I have a program which is called Acronis True Image I think it does make the case? My disk of 320GB is almost full, I play a lot and often keeps my games for some networks. I still have that 5GB of free space. i will test a simple copy and will see whether it works or not.